Archive

IE6 Support on Splunk 4.3

Communicator

Hey All,

I'm just testing an upgrade to Splunk 4.3.2 (from 4.2.4) and found that it doesn't work with IE6. It gets various Javascript errors when creating reports, running searches, etc.

The System Requirements page shows IE6 as a supported browser - http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.2/Installation/Systemrequirements

Is anyone successfully using IE6 with Splunk 4.3 and above? Or is it an oversight on the System Requirements page?

Unfortunately IE6 is still the standard browser in our company, though a lot of people have just installed other browsers. I've found that about 25% of our users are still using IE6 with the current version of Splunk.

Thanks,

Ashley

Tags (2)
0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Strange. In 4.3.2 the FORM_KEY value is only accessed once as far as I can see, and it's in the splunk.jquery.csrf_protection.js file. However the plot thickens because as far as I can tell that file is only used in a couple obscure places in the Splunk ui, and it shouldn't be doing anything in the "Report Builder : Define Report" page.

0 Karma

Communicator

They're in the default search app. I've just been doing a little more testing, and have found that the error is always the same, as follows:

Line: 454
Char: 8
Error: getConfigValue - FORM_KEY not set, no default provided.
Code: 0
URL: http://192.168.72.1:8000/en-US/app/search/report_builder_define_data?base_sid=1339976736.17&q=search...

The strange thing is that when I first load each page, it gets this error. But if I refresh the page, it loads successfully and the error disappears.
It happens on nearly every page.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you seeing those errors within a Splunk app or a third-party app, or within the default 'search' app?

0 Karma

Legend

I have successfully used Splunk 4.3.2 with IE 6, running a wide variety of searches and reports.

I have seen some occasional weirdness in the GUI, but those are annoyances not error messages. (It can be pretty annoying though.)

I am not sure of the IE 6 version that I was running, though, or how exactly it was configured. I think the security settings for Splunk were the "intranet" settings. You might check that.

Personally, I think that the 25% of your users would probably be happier running a more current browser... but Splunk does work with IE 6.

Legend

Thanks for the update. I don't have an answer, but I suggest that you also file a support ticket if you don't get a satisfactory answer from the forum. You have good documentation for the problem, be sure and include it there.

0 Karma

Communicator

Thanks for your response. I agree that the users would probably be happier running newer browsers, but it's a hard thing to change. I posted the actual errors in another comment. I've tried playing with the security settings, but it hasn't fixed it. I even got hold of a blank Windows XP VM with a standard IE6 install, and installed a fresh Splunk into it, and it doesn't work there either.

0 Karma