Monitoring Splunk

I need to monitor 5 Servers and 3 of them have same log path, can any one please help me how can i frame the inputs.conf for these 5 servers

Aravindhavks

I was trying to create an inputs.conf for an application which has 5 servers , what way can be followed to construct the inputs and how it can be deployed

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Aravindhavks,
I'm describing the process to create and distribute an inputs.conf without knowing your paths, but you can adapt it to your needs:

at first you have to define the exact file targets in your servers and for each one index and sourcetype you like (I suggest to put them in an Excel sheet).

After you have to create an inputs.conf like this (or inserting your different needs):

[monitor:///path1/log1.log]
disabled=0
index=your_index
sourcetype=your_sourcetype

[monitor:///path2/log2.log]
disabled=0
index=your_index

[monitor:///path3/log3.log]
disabled=0
index=your_index

[monitor:///path4/log4.log]
disabled=0
index=your_index

[monitor:///path5/log5.log]
disabled=0
index=your_index

Obviously you can aggregate some inputs (if they have a common path) and you can specify different sourcetypes for different inputs: e.g. monitor:///path1/log*/*.log.

After you have to insert this inputs.conf in a Technology Add-On (TA) and deploy it on your servers manually or using a deployment server.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...