Splunk Search

I'm trying to do a conditional min() function from a query

nmaiorana
Explorer

I have a search where I want to get the first time an event comes in from a source, then find out the first event from that same source with a specific status. For instance, if I want to find out the first time a user logs in and then the first time he signs out to determine total sessions time. Keep in mind that there may be other events from that user during the session which are producing different stats.

What I need is the ability to find the first time using conditional min():

blah blah... | stats min(_time) as login_time, min(eval status="LOGOUT"), _time) as logout_time | ... blah blah blah

Tags (2)
0 Karma

nmaiorana
Explorer

I figured it out. It is a combination of eval and if:

min(eval(if(status=="LOGOUT", _time,NULL)))

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

nmaiorana
Explorer

I tried this, the logout_time is empty. Not sure why the "if" statements isn't working. I even tried if(1==1, _time, NULL).

0 Karma

nmaiorana
Explorer

This was giving me an error:

min(eval(status=="LOGOUT", _time,NULL)) as logout_time

I think you meant:

min(if(status=="LOGOUT", _time,NULL)) as logout_time

This did not produce an error, but is not returning what I need either.

Thanks

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This can be done:

... | stats min(_time) as login_time, min(eval(status=="LOGOUT", _time,NULL)) as logout_time | ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...