Splunk Search

I am getting mostly info=denied events for specific users while searching for _audit index. While user can no longer query any indexes. Does that info indicates permission issues? or something else.

pateriaak
Explorer

I am getting info=denied events for specific users while searching for _audit index. What is the significance of this as users are not able to search any indexes? any leads.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @pateriaak - Are you trying to say that the users who are getting info=denied in the _audit index are not able to search all other indexes as well, and not just the _audit index?
Most times splunk admins will restrict _audit access to most users as I won't want end users to see audit info.
But for this what i do is go to accesss controls > roles and manually remove _audit index from the specified user roles.
If the affected users in your case are not able to see/search any indexes I recommend that you navigate to one of the roles and check is that role has permission set for one of the indexes that they should have access to..

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @pateriaak - Are you trying to say that the users who are getting info=denied in the _audit index are not able to search all other indexes as well, and not just the _audit index?
Most times splunk admins will restrict _audit access to most users as I won't want end users to see audit info.
But for this what i do is go to accesss controls > roles and manually remove _audit index from the specified user roles.
If the affected users in your case are not able to see/search any indexes I recommend that you navigate to one of the roles and check is that role has permission set for one of the indexes that they should have access to..

0 Karma

pateriaak
Explorer

hi @Sukisen1981 I was unclear in my question about _audit index, I was seeing this info=denied in _audit index for a user as a splunk admin and yes later I was able to figure out access issues causing users not able to search any indexes. thank you for your comments and sorry about being unclear initially.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @pateriaak - Glad that you figured out the issue, had to be an index permission issue.
Please accept my answer if it helps similar issue resolution in a significant way or please post your answer if you did something very different to resolve the issue , for the benefit of the forum

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...