Deployment Architecture

How to troubleshoot why Splunk DB Connect 1.1.7 suddenly stopped indexing data from our Oracle database?

nawneel
Communicator

I am currently experiencing issue in our production environment and wanted to check if any of you have encountered similar issue. I was getting data in index using Splunk DB Connect 1 since 2 days back, but suddenly it stopped indexing data. The following is our DB Connect configuration:

1. We are dumping data from Oracle database to Splunk index.
  2. Splunk versions is 6.2.2
  3. DB connect version is 1.1.7
  4. DB input strategy is DB Dump
  5. Output format is Multi-Line key Format.

When I run a query in the DB Connect query browser, it returns results successfully.
There are NO errors in splunkd logs, dbx_debug shows that this dbinput triggered and completed gracefully.

Splunk DB Connect app gets data from the database and keeps in SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/dbmon directory. From where it runs a batch job to write data to index using policy sinkhole, on successful indexing of data, it deletes the temporary file from in SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/dbmon directory.

I have data in SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/dbmon, but not in the index.

I also have some other indexes which are getting the data from same Oracle db using the same DB Connect 1.1.7 and they continue to work fine while only few indexes have stopped working.

Kindly suggest appropriate actions.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

General principles: if it worked and then stops, something has changed. What changed? Assuming that all the applicable logs are in Splunk, set the search window to the time when it stops working and look for errors... or even just

(* OR index=_internal) | dedup punct

to see a rough idea of what types of things are in there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...