Getting Data In

How to troubleshoot why I'm missing log data in Splunk for one day?

Navanitha
Path Finder

Hi,

I have logs coming into Splunk from our Mainframe server for a long time. I noticed that Splunk is suddenly not showing any logs on 25/04/2016 and there were partial results on 24/04. Although it is working fine now, I still don't see logs for only 25/04. What might be the possibilities for such discrepancies and is there something I need to check on my end?

Thank you..

Tags (2)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Define "suddenly" please.

Does this mean that yesterday you had data for 25/04 and 24/04 but today "suddenly" the data no longer appears?

Or does it mean, you have a gap in your data on 25/04 and 24/04 that you didnt notice until today?

Possible issues for the 1st scenario:
-Bad data retirement/retention policy
-Someone used the |delete command
-Someone manually erased buckets from the filesystem
-Filesystem corruption

Possible issues for the 2nd scenario:
-Network was down
-Forwarders were down
-Splunk was down
-Maintenance to mainframe
-Maintenance to anything between mainframe and splunk indexers
-etc

0 Karma

Navanitha
Path Finder

it is the second scenario, I have a gap in data for those two dates and till now, I don't see the data coming in for those two days until now.

so assuming the forwarder was down/network was down, how can I get the data for those days into Splunk now?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...