Splunk Search

How to set up a NEAR real time search in Splunk 6.6.3

nls7010
Path Finder

I have a client that wants to set up a "near" real time search in Splunk. Can this be done (it needs to be continuous), if so, would we need to use a cron job for searches like this or can we dong something like -5rt to rt? Or would that still be considered a "real time" search? The search needs to be run continuously to catch the errors as they come in.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

arkadyz1
Builder

Anything that ends at "rt" is a real-time search. Ask yourself this: how "continuous" do you want it to be? If you want granularity up to, say, 2 seconds, you can have a bigger base search of -5m to -2s, then add to it with smaller -4s to -2s searches running every 2 seconds.

On forms and dashboards, you can set a refresh time separately on each element or globally at the top level.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

Their search is based off the time selection and it's all time. (index="myindex" REMOTE-DEVICE STATUS CHECK is all there is to it. If the events are greater than one they invoke the script in the $HOME/splunkforwarder/bin/scripts directory. They invoke it when the number of events is greater than zero and if it's true, then they alert and throttle the alerting for 60 minutes.

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

Anything that ends at "rt" is a real-time search. Ask yourself this: how "continuous" do you want it to be? If you want granularity up to, say, 2 seconds, you can have a bigger base search of -5m to -2s, then add to it with smaller -4s to -2s searches running every 2 seconds.

On forms and dashboards, you can set a refresh time separately on each element or globally at the top level.

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

The clients are looking for a particular phrase in their logs and want it to be a continuous search. Not certain how I would split this up into the two searches you mentioned above.

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

It seems like they want to react to something quickly. The question is: how quickly? They must have some "reaction time" allowed.

Another question: what are they using to launch the searches? Some kind of Splunk SDK? If yes, any searches, either one shot or regular, have "earliest_time" and "latest_time" keyword attributes that can be added. I did it in Python but I'd assume it's true in any SDK.

If they need it on a dashboard, many elements can have a refresh value. On the top level (form or dashboard tag), there is a refresh attribute which has a numerical value in seconds. A similar attribute can be in many other elements, such as table or chart.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...