Knowledge Management

How to seperate indexer and search head?

efheem
Explorer

Hello,

I have installed two Splunk instances and I want to dedicate one as a search head and other as an Indexed. Please can someone guide me how to configure search head to use a separate Index server?

Thanks,
efheem

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On the search head, go to Settings->Distributed search. Click on "Add new". Enter the URI for the indexer, like "https://myindexer:8089", and the login credentials. Click Save. Done.

It's best practice for search heads to forward their logs to the indexers. Do that by putting the indexer into an outputs.conf file on the SH. Restart the SH for the change to take effect.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

efheem
Explorer

Hello @richgalloway, I have figured it out. I had to do a clean-up and reinstall as there was some left overs from my previous cluster configurations.

Many thanks for your help, I got it working now.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On the search head, go to Settings->Distributed search. Click on "Add new". Enter the URI for the indexer, like "https://myindexer:8089", and the login credentials. Click Save. Done.

It's best practice for search heads to forward their logs to the indexers. Do that by putting the indexer into an outputs.conf file on the SH. Restart the SH for the change to take effect.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

efheem
Explorer

Thank you for your response, when I try to do this I get the following error, is this because I dont have a license?

"Encountered the following error while trying to save: Error while sending public key to search peer: Connection reset by peer"

Many thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...