Splunk Search

How to run multiple splunk 6.2 instances on Windows?

cdo_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How to run multiple splunk 6.2 instances on Windows?

1 Solution

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Here are the steps I used to install multiple splunk 6.2 instances on my Windows 2008 box. Unfortunately, I don't know to create a new service for it; so I would have to start the splunkd instance in interactive mode.

Note: make sure that you unset SPLUNK_HOME in your PATH variable.

Run this CLI command to extract the .msi package:

msiexec /a <path to you splunk install .msi package> /qb TARGETDIR=<path to extract the new splunk installation> 

Example:

msiexec /a C:\temp\splunk-6.2.2-255606-x64-release.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\my_new_splunk_instance

Next: cd into C:\my_new_splunk_instance\Splunk\bin and run:

splunk start --nodaemon

If you have the existing splunk instance running, you will be prompted to specify new tcp ports for the new install to use.
Now, you should have a DOS window with splunkd running. To stop splunk, just hit crtl + c, and wait a few seconds.

View solution in original post

stephanefotso
Motivator

Easy! Just install splunk in differents folders, and set each defferent port for each splunk web and splunkd

SGF

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have tried that, and the installer only gave me the options to either repair or remove.

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

ok stop all services of splunk and try again.

SGF
0 Karma

AnilPujar
Path Finder

doesn't work, gave a try with all most many possibilities. 😞

0 Karma

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Here are the steps I used to install multiple splunk 6.2 instances on my Windows 2008 box. Unfortunately, I don't know to create a new service for it; so I would have to start the splunkd instance in interactive mode.

Note: make sure that you unset SPLUNK_HOME in your PATH variable.

Run this CLI command to extract the .msi package:

msiexec /a <path to you splunk install .msi package> /qb TARGETDIR=<path to extract the new splunk installation> 

Example:

msiexec /a C:\temp\splunk-6.2.2-255606-x64-release.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\my_new_splunk_instance

Next: cd into C:\my_new_splunk_instance\Splunk\bin and run:

splunk start --nodaemon

If you have the existing splunk instance running, you will be prompted to specify new tcp ports for the new install to use.
Now, you should have a DOS window with splunkd running. To stop splunk, just hit crtl + c, and wait a few seconds.

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, for pre 6.2 releases, you would also need to startup the splunkweb process:

splunk start splunkd --nodaemon
splunk start splunkweb --nodaemon
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...