Deployment Architecture

How to remove something from being indexed?

rogue_carrot
Communicator

Hello Team,

Can someone help me figure out how to delete a data source? I went over the limit for the 500MB a day with the free license and would like to remove a couple of data sources to make sure I stay within the daily quota. The screenshot below shows one data source I would like to remove from indexing. I did search Google for ways to do this but did not find anything. Thanks for reading this.

Data Summary screen shot

Regards,

rogue carrot

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

Check the host index/sourcetype.If it is internal data,then that host is not the reason for violation.

And if you still want not to index,then you have an option to send data from 127..... host to null queue:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad

And regarding delete command,if the indexed data is internal for that host then no affect of deleting events.Find the doc for delete command

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/SearchReference/Delete

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@rogue_carrot Check the Data Source/Sourcetype from the Host. Since it is the local loopback address. Seems like it is coming from your Splunk Server (indexer) itself. Check the sourcetype and remoce it from server.

rogue_carrot
Communicator

Yes this is from the localhost. Do you have a list of steps I can take to delete this from being indexed?

0 Karma

nswondem
Path Finder

Is this a test system? If so, you may try the delete command. Be careful though. You also want to disable the input once you find it.

0 Karma

rogue_carrot
Communicator

This is sort of a test system. Where would I use the delete command? How do I disable inputs?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...