Splunk Search

How to remove extra characters from an indexed event?

Bellamar10

Good afternoon

Is there a way to remove extra characters (\xAF) from already indexed events such as this one:

20182018--0505--2222  1111::3939::1818,,937937 [ [4747] ] ERRORERROR  -- 
  ErrorError  MessageMessage::  OneOne  oror  moremore  errorserrors  occurredoccurred..
 \xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xA \xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF
Calling assembly Name/Source: Sms.Utilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null/mscorlib
\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF
Stack Trace: 

Thank you in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Bellamar10,

try this:

| makeresults 
| eval foo="20182018--0505--2222 1111::3939::1818,,937937 [ [4747] ] ERRORERROR -- 
ErrorError MessageMessage:: OneOne oror moremore errorserrors occurredoccurred..
\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xA \xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF
Calling assembly Name/Source: Sms.Utilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null/mscorlib
\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF" 
| rex mode=sed field=foo "s/\\\xAF//g"

The first 2 lines are used to create an event and the important command is the last line which will remove the characters \xAF from your search result. But remember the characters will still be in the _raw event 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Bellamar10,

try this:

| makeresults 
| eval foo="20182018--0505--2222 1111::3939::1818,,937937 [ [4747] ] ERRORERROR -- 
ErrorError MessageMessage:: OneOne oror moremore errorserrors occurredoccurred..
\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF\xAF" 
| rex mode=sed field=foo "s/\\\xAF//g"

The first 2 lines are used to create an event and the important command is the last line which will remove the characters \xAF from your search result. But remember the characters will still be in the _raw event 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just to add on this - because you explicitely asked for "already indexed events" - you can do this like shown above, but it will not be persistent. Data, once indexed, can not be changed afterwards (permanently), only in every search again and again.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HeHE, did you read my answer to the end? I already mentioned that in my answer 😉

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hehe, I read that, but I wasnt clear to me that you meant that... which might be a non-native-English issue with me, sorry 😉

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

let's call it lost in translation from swiss german - german - english at the writer side and english - german on the reader side 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...