Splunk Search

How to reference a Field Name containing "()" without breaking the search or stats?

leonardr

I have a field name that contains "(rpm)" and cannot find a way to reference it without it breaking a search or stats. What can I do to escape or otherwise reference the field?

Bob

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can enclose field names within dollar signs like this:

... | eval xyz_rpm = $xyz (rpm)$
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Within transforming commands (eval, stats, timechart etc) and WHERE command, use the field within single quote 'YourField(ABC)'

For other places (table, fields, search) put it within double quotes.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Have you tried the rename command?

... | rename "xyz (rpm)" as xyz_rpm | ...

I know you probably didn't create the field name this way, but FYI:

Field names that are made from the following character set will never require quotation marks and will be properly understood by all Splunk commands:

Upper case letters (A-Z)
Lower case letters (a-z)
Digits (0-9)
Underscore (_)

Field names should begin with a letter.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Have you tried single quotes? 'fieldname'

Another option is to use either a field alias (in props.conf or in Splunk Web on the Search Head via Settings -> Fields -> Field alias), or a rename in your search before doing stats, eval, etc.

masonmorales
Influencer

Also, if it's in the sidebar, click on it, select a value (to add it to your search) and see how Splunk references it.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Field alias is also available from the GUI: Go to Settings -> Fields -> Field alias

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...