Knowledge Management

How to pause log generation during downtime in service and track the duration of each pause?

dharudiya
Explorer

Hi Splunkers,

I need to stop a particular service from generating logs in Splunk during downtime, and resume generating logs when the service is restored. And, I want to find the time difference between the last log generated during downtime and the first log generated when service was restored.

Example log times :

6/3/20
12:32:03.000 AM ....... (after the service is up)
6/3/20
11:41:33.000 AM........(last log before the service went down)
6/3/20
11:41:20.000 AM
6/3/20
11:41:15.000 AM
6/3/20
11:41:05.000 AM

Waiting to hear solutions from you guys!

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How does Splunk know which event is the last before the service went down and which is the first after the service came back up?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

dharudiya
Explorer

I need to calculate the time difference of each event to the next event

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, we know what you want to do. Can you answer my question?
How would I, as a person unfamiliar with your envionment, know which event is the last before the service went down and which is the first after the service came back up?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...