Splunk Search

How to pass argument (dynamically) to searchmatch function without use map command

Testeur971

Hi,

I wonder test different pattern matching (format spl) dynamically with a field value without use the command "map"

example:

| makeresults | eval _raw = "foo var" | eval mymatch = "var OR fo*" | eval test = if(searchmatch($mymatch$),"yes","no")

I test with macro but it doesn't work.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Argument for searchmatch is a string not a field. You need to put search string "var OR fo*" in searchmatch function.

| makeresults | eval _raw = "foo var" | eval test1 = if(searchmatch("var OR fo*"), "yes", "no"), test2 = if(searchmatch("var AND foo"), "yes", "no")

If you want to pass search string as a parameter then save your search as a saved search (Report) and use savedsearch command to call saved search with parameter:

<your search> | eval test = if(searchmatch("$search_string$"), "yes", "no")

Save this search as saved_search_name and call it using savedsearch command:

| savedsearch saved_search_name search_string="var OR fo*"
0 Karma

Testeur971

thanks!

But, your solution can't work with multiples patterns

My patterns are in a lookup, and for every patterns, i've specifics values in others fields.

The goal is to compare a lot of _raw with multiples patterns in my lookup for monitoring log.

does it exist a library in python for use function searchmatch ?, i can develop a custom command with it that will take parameter in searchmatch function because is not possible dynamically with splunk core without use map command.

my wish:

| makeresults  | eval _raw="foo bar var"| eval different_pattern ="var OR test,foo AND bar,bar" | makemv different_pattern delim="," | mvexpand different_pattern_spl_format | eval result =if(searchmatch($different_pattern_spl_format_value$),"yes","no")
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

The goal is to compare a lot of _raw with multiples patterns in my lookup for monitoring log.
use lookup(wildcard)

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/52580/can-we-use-wildcard-characters-in-a-lookup-table.html

But why do you need to search the log itself?
it is better to extract like msg field and compare these.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
searchmatch(X)  Use this function to return TRUE if the search string (X) matches the event.

reference:https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

sample solution:

| makeresults | eval _raw="foo bar"
| eval test = if(searchmatch([|makeresults |eval query="\"bar\""|fields - _*]),"yes","no")
|appendpipe[
| eval test = if(searchmatch([|makeresults |eval query="\"foo\""|fields - _*]),"yes","no")
|appendpipe[
| eval test = if(searchmatch([|makeresults |eval query="\"foo OR bar\""|fields - _*]),"yes","no")]]

Sorry, I have a mistake.

Inside searchmatch, it can't use boolean expression like OR.
check my latest comment and try lookup(wildcard)

0 Karma

Testeur971

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/52580/can-we-use-wildcard-characters-in-a-lookup-table.html

But why do you need to search the log itself?
it is better to extract like msg field and compare these

@to4kawa

Because in the lookup, the pattern is in splunk format with "OR" "NOT" "AND" (operator) not only wildcard like this "*"
i've the index, the sourcetype and the pattern in splunk format and others fields , i put a "join" in my spl on index and sourcetype for every eventlog and after i want test dynamically all patterns for fill every fields for ITSI app.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

foo.csv

sample
A OR b
*foo
bar

sample query:

index=yours [ | inputlookup foo.csv | table sample | return 1000 $sample]

you can do it like that.

0 Karma

Testeur971

@to4kawa

index=yours [ | inputlookup foo.csv | table sample | return 1000 $sample]

i already do that in the root search . But after in the same lookup , i've a description , severity, order, etc..
how i can connect the matches events with the spl pattern in the lookup for output the other fields without use map command ?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=sample
| lookup foo.csv host OUTPUT description
| lookup foo.csv user OUTPUT severity
| lookup foo.csv bar OUTPUT baz

this is sample. lookup can use it again and again.
inputlookup is same.

0 Karma

Testeur971

@to4kawa

The ID is the pattern in SPL, it's for that i need a dynamically searchmatch that can indicate with what pattern spl the event _raw match for connect after with the lookup.

but i can't pass to the function searchmatch a field value.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I see what you want. but I don't know the details ,logs , lookups.
I can't help and make SPL without these.

You don't provide these, so I think you'll write the SPL yourself.

0 Karma

Testeur971

@to4kawa
Thanks for the help! But it's doesn't work

Test the spl below:

| makeresults | eval _raw="foo bar"| eval mymatch = "nomatch1 OR nomatch*" 
 | foreach mymatch [ eval test = if(searchmatch("<<MATCHSTR>>"),"yes","no")]

The result is too "yes", because it's blank. My version 7.3.0

alt text

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

alt text

my version 8.0.1

0 Karma

Testeur971

it doesn't work, because it don't take the field value in the function searchmatch , it's a empty string.

In search.log:
04-18-2020 13:21:02.396 INFO ForeachProcessor - search for field 'mymatch' = eval test = if(searchmatch(""),"yes","no")

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...