Knowledge Management

How to know the user role in splunk

pradjswl
Explorer

How can I know if I am just a normal user or Power user of the splunk i am using in my department without asking in perticular to admin. Is there a command or link which can identify my role in the splunk I am using.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try running this query

| rest /services/authentication/current-context splunk_server=local | table title roles

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
 |rest /services/authentication/current-context has a roles column.

pradjswl
Explorer

Thank you @Jkat54. It returned a long list of rows/column. I believe it was very detailed information about my role.
| rest /services/authentication/current-context splunk_server=local | table title roles
was easiest way to read.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ha ha ha! look at the response!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi pradjswl,
Try | rest /services/authorization/roles if you're enabled.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

pradjswl
Explorer

Thank you @cusello. It returned a long list of rows/column. I believe it was very detailed information about my role.
was easiest way to read.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try running this query

pradjswl
Explorer

ty @somesoni2 I got a record with 5roles, and user is one of them. Rest 4 roles appears more or less like the app name I use in my project. So I believe I am user role and not Power user. Please correct me if I am wrong.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Every role has certain capabilities. I can't say for certain that you're not power user. You've 4 other custom roles assigned to you and they may or may not have capabilities of power user. So easier option for you will be to check if you can change the sharing permission of any Splunk report/saved search or not. A regular user can't do that.

user: this role can create and edit its own saved searches, run searches, edit its own preferences, create and edit event types, and other similar tasks.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...