Getting Data In

How to insert data from kv store to index with customized _time coloumn

jitendragupta
Path Finder

I am inserting data from kv store to Index but in index it is taking insertion time by default in _time column but I want my custom time same as from_date column in kv store.
How can I achieve this?

This query is not working for me:
| inputlookup kv_demo | head 10 | eval _time = from_date | table myid name from_date | collect index= demoindex

Tags (1)
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @jitendragupta

in your eval command you have assigned from_date to _time but in table you are using from_date
You should change that to _time instead. Also you want demoindex to index only 10 events? Or you are just trying this out?

| inputlookup kv_demo | head 10 | eval _time = from_date | table _time myid name | collect index=demoindex

This will store data into summary index called demoindex
If you directly run this command you will get error Received event for unconfigured/disabled/deleted index=demoindex with source="..and so on
So first create and index called demoindex and then run this query

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

jitendragupta
Path Finder

Even after correcting search query as you said, i am not able to get my custom time in _time Column of index.

_time column is storing data insertion time by default.
I want to copy my custom time from from_date column of my kv store.
As u can see in this image from_date and _time are different:

alt text

0 Karma

jitendragupta
Path Finder
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

okay i got it ! can you give me sample values from from_date field? i want to know the format of values are they in epoch time?

0 Karma

jitendragupta
Path Finder

Any format like dd/mm/yy for date and hh:mm:ss for time is ok with me. But the main thing which I am expecting is, from_date column should copy to _time column.

If this is possible than than only I can proceed with my work.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

it wont add anything specific if you have from_date="dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss"
then you have to make change | eval _time=strptime(from_date,"%d/%m/%Y")
you have to give the format of from_date value

I can see from the screenshot that your from_date has only dd/mm/yy so accordingly i have changed my query

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

run this

| inputlookup kv_demo | head 10 | eval _time=strptime(from_date,"%d/%m/%Y") | table _time myid name | collect index=demoindex

let me know if this helps !

0 Karma

Super Champion

Hi @jitendragupta,
can you try below:

| inputlookup kv_demo | head 10 | eval _time = from_date | table myid name _time| collect index= demoindex
0 Karma

Super Champion

here you have to convert your time to epoch(in seconds) so that Time format to get understood by splunk
so try below it will work:

| inputlookup kv_demo | head 10 | eval _time = from_date |eval _time=strptime(_time,"%d/%m/%Y")| table myid name _time| collect index= demoindex

using strptime time command it will parse your time field in format "%d/%m/%Y" and converts it in epoch then by table command you are entering required field to get collected in index.
Hope this helps you.
Cheers.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...