Splunk Search

How to identify slowest traffic on a host

manapuna

I have 10 servers for my X applications. Sometime 1 or 2 servers will start to take 10% (or < 25%) where other 8 servers are taking normal traffic. How can I set up an alert in such scenario.

application=X host=websphere* source=X_performance.log "New Session logged in" | timechart span=1m count by host

I can identify 1 or 2 servers take low traffic. Not too sure how can I set this into alert.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nareshinsvu
Builder

Try to write something like this and set alerts?

<your base search> |stats max(traffic_field) as max_traffic min(traffic_field) as min_traffic | eval alert_me=(max_traffic - min_traffic) | fields alert_me

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Try to write something like this and set alerts?

<your base search> |stats max(traffic_field) as max_traffic min(traffic_field) as min_traffic | eval alert_me=(max_traffic - min_traffic) | fields alert_me
0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Hope your issue is resolved? Kindly accept and/or upvote an answer which helped you and close this request.

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you already have a search that returns you the servers with low traffic just save it as an alert and set it to trigger an alert action (notification, email, script, etc) if the search returns any results. if no server has the low traffic condition, the search should not return results thus not alert is triggered.

More info from docs regarding trigger conditions for alerts
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Alert/AlertTriggerConditions

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

manapuna

My search query only good if I am inspecting the graph. I don't think its good enough to alert. My thought process is.. I want to compare the server whose take most traffic and the server who takes lesser traffic.. then alert of the base of that.

s1 = 100
s2 = 109
s3 = 100
s4 = 110
S5 = 23

In this case.. I want an alert because S5 is taking very less traffic compare to S4 (Max traffic).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...