Getting Data In

How to format exceptions with log4j to stdout

pwolfpwolf

When we had Splunk processing log files, the exceptions looked fine. But now that we are processing just the STDOUT from Docker, the exception stack traces were appearing as separate log messages. I fixed that in a way, buy removing the line breaks in the message itself with a pattern in log4j. Now it want it appear as separate lines when I view the exception. Is there some character or string that I can substitute so each method in the stack trace appears as a separate line, but not a separate message?

Here is my current log4j pattern:

<Pattern>%d{ISO8601} %-5p %C{1} - [%x]  %m %throwable{separator(\n)}%n</Pattern>

In Spunk it appears with a literal "\n" instead of a line break.

What is the correct Pattern I should use?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

did you check how the output logs come in notepad++ (or a quality text editor)?
My suggestion is to use %d{ISO8601} %-5p %c %x - %m%n

0 Karma

pwolfpwolf

@koshyk , without the "throwable{separator}" , log4j outputs the exception as multiple lines with each line in the stack trace being treated as a separate log message, which is not what we want. We are processing the STDOUT of our container, not a log file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...