Reporting

How to find routers that are not reporting a specific event?

christopheryu
Communicator

I have the search below that shows the routers and how many times each has logged an RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN event.

index=XYZ sourcetype=JUNIPER RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN | stats count by ROUTER

My question is how do I list the routers that do not have any RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN event log?

RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN is one of the values for EVENT_TYPE field.

Thank you in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi christopheryu,

I would get a list of all possible routers and use it in a lookup called routers and run the search against the lookup:

| inputlookup routers | search NOT [ search index=XYZ sourcetype=JUNIPER RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN | dedup ROUTER | fields ROUTER ] | ...

Just be warned that this is sub search and therefore you will have some limits. Read more about this topic here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Aboutsubsearches#Subsearch_performance

Another approach would be to use the timewrap command available with this App https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1645/ and compare the number of routers over two different time ranges and get back the missing ones.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have to create a lookup table called routers.csv and populate it with all the routers you have to monitor and after run a search like this (in the routers.csv file there at least one column called host).
| inputlookup routers.csv | eval count=0 | append [ search index=_internal | stats count by host] | stats sum(count) as Total | rangemap field=Total severe=0-0 low=1-1000000000 default=severe
in this way if range=severe (Total =0) Router wasn't connected in the defined period, if range=low (Total >0) Router was'n connected.

in addition you could show the search result in a graphic dashboard with icons in addition you have to copy in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/yourapp/appserver/static the following files that you can find in the Dashboard Examples - Table Icon Set (Rangemap) (App that you can find in apps.splunk.com):
- table_icons_rangemap.js
- table_decorations.css
(remember that you have to restart Splunk after copy)
and modify the first row of your dashboard as this:

<form script="table_icons_rangemap.js, stylesheet="table_decorations.css">

About the graphic dashboard, see in Dashboard Examples the way to proceed.
(see https://answers.splunk.com/answers/454346/splunk-dashboard-widget-to-display-the-state-of-se.html#an...)

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

christopheryu
Communicator

Thank you for explaining the lookup in detail, this worked for my question.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi christopheryu,

I would get a list of all possible routers and use it in a lookup called routers and run the search against the lookup:

| inputlookup routers | search NOT [ search index=XYZ sourcetype=JUNIPER RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN | dedup ROUTER | fields ROUTER ] | ...

Just be warned that this is sub search and therefore you will have some limits. Read more about this topic here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Aboutsubsearches#Subsearch_performance

Another approach would be to use the timewrap command available with this App https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1645/ and compare the number of routers over two different time ranges and get back the missing ones.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

christopheryu
Communicator

I was actually doing it on excel prior to posting here but eventually had the lookup in splunk, thank you!

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe, try this...

index=XYZ sourcetype=JUNIPER EVENT_TYPE!=RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN | stats count by ROUTER
0 Karma

christopheryu
Communicator

That won't work as it will list all the routers since all are logging other EVENT_TYPE that are not RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

sorry, pls correct me if it's wrong..

/// it will list all the routers since all are logging other EVENT_TYPE that are not RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN.///

but, I think, that is what needed, right.

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

it kinda depends on how you intend to get a full list of potential routers. I'll make the assumption that all routers are logging events, just maybe not all with the RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN value for EVENT_TYPE.

index=XYZ sourcetype=JUNIPER | stats count by ROUTER EVENT_TYPE | where EVENT_TYPE="RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN" and count=0
0 Karma

christopheryu
Communicator

Thanks for the response. Yes, all routers are logging events except not all logs RPD_MPLS_LSP_DOWN. I am running your suggested search as I am typing this and it is taking so long considering that that there are 400M plus EVENT_TYPE events that it is searching. Is there any other faster way of doing it?

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Without knowing anything about your data, it's hard to tune. I would suggest adding terms to the first part of the search that are inclusive of all your target logs. Perhaps just "sourcetype=juniper" is too broad.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...