Reporting

How to extract the count and value of a particular field existance from main search and sub search as well?

nomadichunters
Explorer

Sample Events Looks like :
{"title": "SavedSearch1", "action_email": "0", "action_summary_index": "0", "alert_expires": "2m", "author": "admin", "disabled": "0", "orphan": "0", "dispatch_earliest_time": "-60m@m", "dispatch_latest_time": "now", "eai_acl_app": "search", "eai_acl_owner": "admin", "eai_acl_sharing": "user", "is_scheduled": "0", "search": "| savedsearch “SavedSearch2” | search index=_audit | head 10", "cluster_name": "BIG_DATA"}

{"title": "Savedsearch2", "action_email": "0", "action_summary_index": "0", "alert_expires": "2m", "author": "admin", "disabled": "0", "orphan": "0", "dispatch_earliest_time": "-60m@m", "dispatch_latest_time": "now", "eai_acl_app": "search", "eai_acl_owner": "admin", "eai_acl_sharing": "user", "is_scheduled": "0", "search": "| savedsearch “index=* | head 100", "cluster_name": "BIG_DATA"}

I have to read the saved search list from my internal logs, check the existance and extract a particular field count and value from it . If the saved search is using another saved search inside the main saved search , then i have to again check the existance and extract the same particular field count and value from it, then join both of them and get the final count and values of that particular field.

Eg : Consider Index as one field, i would have mutliple fields to be calculated in the same process.

SavedSearch1
| savedsearch “SavedSearch2” | search index=_audit | head 10

Savedsearch2
index=* | head 100

index=application_core sourcetype=application_log
| eval [ search index= application_core sourcetype= application_log
| eval anotherSavedSearchUseInSearch="SavedSearch2"
| where title=anotherSavedSearchUseInSearch
| rex max_match=0 field=search "index\s{0,}=\s{0,}\"{0,}\${0,}(?*{0,}\w**{0,})"
| eval indexusedinquery = if(isnull(indexusedinquery),"indexNotUsed",indexusedinquery)
| table title indexusedinquery
| fields title indexusedinquery
| eval valuesReturnedfromsecondsearch = title.",".indexusedinquery
| return valuesReturnedfromsecondsearch]

output :
FieldName : valuesReturnedfromsecondsearch
FieldValue : Savedsearch2,*

1. I am able to return the output if I manually pass the value SavedSearch2, but when i try to extract from rex and send , then the above query is not working. It is changing the title value from SavedSearch1 to SavedSearch2 simply ,but it has to then check for the events which has the anotherSavedSearchUseInSearch value as title, without changing the existing titlename.
  2. And This sub search should iterate for all the cases.
Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I completely have no idea what you mean here. I think you need a complete do-over.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To start out with, iterating a search is not a great idea in splunk, and recursion is even worse. you are better off getting everything you want with a single pass.

So, extract ALL saved searches at the same time, verify the existence of that field count on them, and then later you can decide which of the saved searches is relevant to what you want to know.

Sort the records into _time order, and use streamstats to copy forward the most recent value for each search. Then, throw away all but the final record(s) that you want, determine which searches the values are needed from, and then format your final record(s).

Here's a run-anywhere example of one way that you might approach this.

| makeresults | eval mydata="100:search2;search5;7!!!!200:search3;NULL;12!!!!300:search6;search3;15!!!!400:search5;search2,search3;NULL!!!!500:search4;search6,search3;13!!!!600:search3;NULL;12!!!!700:search2;search5;7!!!!800:search1;search2,search3;15"|makemv mydata delim="!!!!"| mvexpand mydata 
| rex field=mydata "(?<time>\d+):(?<searchname>[^;]+);(?<subsearches>[^;]+);(?<count>\d*)"
| makemv subsearches delim=","
| eval subsearches=mvfilter(subsearches!="NULL")
| eval _time = relative_time(now(),"@d")+time

| rename COMMENT as "The above just produces test data in the following format..."
| table _time searchname subsearches count

| rename COMMENT as "Put the needed counts in a field named for each search"
| eval subname="subcount_".searchname 
| eval {subname}=count
| fields - subname

| rename COMMENT as "Copy them forward, then blank the ones named after the current search, and the ones not used in the current search"
| streamstats last(subcount*) as subcount*
| foreach subcount_* [ | eval <<FIELD>>=case(isnull(subsearches),null(),  like(searchname,"<<MATCHSTR>>"),null(),  like(subsearches,"<<MATCHSTR>>"),<<FIELD>>)]     
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...