Splunk Search

How to eval field for current event from another linked event

exmuzzy
Explorer

In my system each transaction logged in file transaction.log as sequence request/response events

for example:

event_1 (request)
2017-02-14 11:37:50,103
requestID=ID-4eb3c96facf7-34169-1486981992587-0-133
type=request

event_2 (response)
2017-02-14 11:37:51,343
requestID=ID-4eb3c96facf7-34169-1486981992587-0-133
type=response
transactionID=1000

event_N-1 (request)
2017-02-14 11:36:12,444
requestID=ID-4eb3c96facf7-34169-1486981992587-0-4000
type=request

event_N (response)
2017-02-14 11:38:44,234
requestID=ID-4eb3c96facf7-34169-1486981992587-0-4000
type=response
transactionID=1000

So request linked with response by requestID, which is always new for next request/response pair
transactionID appears only in response events
so if I write

source=transaction.log | transaction transactionID
it will collects only response events

if I write

source=transaction.log | transaction requestID | transaction transactionID
it will produce correct result
but, if transaction stop after first pair of request/result, then field "duration" will be 0

I think, that better solution will be if I some how eval transactionID in request event
Somethink like this:

source=transaction.log | eval trx=[search source=transaction.log type=response requestID=$requestID | return $transactionID] | transaction trx

but at this moment I have no idea how to write correct SPL

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're mostly looking for the duration, you can skip transaction and proceed right to stats:

| stats min(_time) as start max(_time) as end values(transactionID) as transactionID by requestID
| stats min(start) as start max(end) as end by transactionID
| eval duration = end - start

The first stats will compute the start and end for each request and note down the transaction ID, the second stats will compute the overall start and end for each transaction, and the eval will give you your duration.

Other interesting fields can be carried through the stats calls using first(), values(), max(), etc. depending on the field and use case.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're mostly looking for the duration, you can skip transaction and proceed right to stats:

| stats min(_time) as start max(_time) as end values(transactionID) as transactionID by requestID

The first stats will compute the start and end for each request and note down the transaction ID, the second stats will compute the overall start and end for each transaction, and the eval will give you your duration.

Other interesting fields can be carried through the stats calls using first(), values(), max(), etc. depending on the field and use case.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The sparkline would need the timestamp, so you'd have to yield some _time values in your earlier stats calls.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats can do that too: values(field) as field, avg(field) as field, etc.

0 Karma

exmuzzy
Explorer

is it possible to use sparkline after that?

something like that

| stats sparkline count by requestID 

splunk shows just a zero line instead of real sparkline

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats is usually very fast, transaction does lots of extra things you may or may not need.
Ultimately it depends on your data, your overall use case, other processing, etc.

Did you run the stats on your data? Its main purpose is to link the events by requestID and then by transactionID.

0 Karma

exmuzzy
Explorer

Yes, your example perfectly calculate duration.
But I need duration with other fields which is come from request/response events
transaction did it for me

0 Karma

exmuzzy
Explorer

is there some opportunity for filldown in such SPL

... | filldown transactionID | transaction transactionID

?

It works fine, but transaction events should come strictly one by one to filldown works correctly

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No need for that, the stats command handles it. Since by their format your RequestIDs are likely to be unique in the whole dataset, and since there are only two events in each transaction, you wouldn't need the "transaction" command to figure out the start and endpoints.

The only caveat is coding around any transactions that are still open. So add this at the end -

|where duration !=0
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're better off going by a count or even checking that all parts of the transaction are there, going by duration is dangerous - depending on things, a complete transaction might have identical timestamps all round.

0 Karma

exmuzzy
Explorer

But I still have to evaluate transactionID in Request event, which appears only in Response event, which are linked by requestID

0 Karma

exmuzzy
Explorer

It's very interesting!
Will it works faster then transaction duration?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...