Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a dropdown search on columns of data which aren't indexed and a text box for keyword searches?

sjanwity
Communicator

I have splunk's dbconnect app return me some columns, let's say they're they sample below:

Table Customers-History:

TIMESTAMP            | OPERATION | Customer ID | Customer Name | Customer Address
 1-Dec-2010 09:52:1232| INSERT     | 002        | Kyle A          | 10 Gammon Road
 2-Dec-2010 09:54:9500| DELETE     | 002         | Kyle A         | 10 Gammon Road
 2-Dec-2010 09:54:9900| INSERT     | 002         | Kyle A        | 16 Gammon Road
 2-Dec-2010 09:55:9921| DELETE     | 003         | Josh C        | 21 Drury Lane

I want to create a dropdown box where the user selects the column they want to search in (i.e. timestamp, operation, customer id, customer name, customer address) and then a text box where the user enters the keyword for the search

I've followed the splunk tutorial on this at http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.4/Viz/Buildandeditforms#Static_and_dynamic_inputs_to... but they assume that my columns are labelled as sourcetype when my columns are actually just columns returned from the dbconnect app. How can I work around this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

You probably don't want to set a dynamic input for this. I would do this in Simple XML

<fieldset>
     <input type="dropdown" token="searchColumn">
         <label>Select a column to search</label>
         <choice value="OPERATION">Operation</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerID">Customer ID</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerName">Customer Name</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerAddr">Customer Address</choice>
     </input>
  <input type="text" token="searchText">
    <label>Enter the value of the field</label>
  </input>
 </fieldset>
  <searchTemplate>
    yoursearchherewith $searchColumn$="$searchText$"
  </searchTemplate>

If you really want to dynamically generate the list of field names in the drop down, you can do this

<populatingSearch fieldForValue="fieldName" fieldForLabel="fieldName">
              <![CDATA[yourDBconnectsearchhere | fieldsummary maxvals=1 | rename field as fieldName | fields fieldName]>
       </populatingSearch>
     </input>

Everything else stays the same.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... you're running a dbquery whenever the user makes an input?

I see two options. Either modify the SQL being run like so:

| dbquery some_database "select * from foo where $column$ = '$value$'"

Or have Splunk filter the results like so:

| dbquery some_database "select * from foo" | search $column$ = "$value$"

In both cases $column$ is the token for the selected column and $value$ is the value entered into the text box.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Combine Lisa's UI-minded answer with my search-minded answer.

0 Karma

sjanwity
Communicator

not quite what I was looking for...I want a dropdown box for the user to select what column he wants to search on.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You probably don't want to set a dynamic input for this. I would do this in Simple XML

<fieldset>
         <choice value="OPERATION">Operation</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerID">Customer ID</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerName">Customer Name</choice>
         <choice value="CustomerAddr">Customer Address</choice>
     </input>
  <input type="text" token="searchText">
    <label>Enter the value of the field</label>
  </input>
 </fieldset>
  <searchTemplate>
    yoursearchherewith $searchColumn$="$searchText$"
  </searchTemplate>

If you really want to dynamically generate the list of field names in the drop down, you can do this

<![CDATA[yourDBconnectsearchhere | fieldsummary maxvals=1 | rename field as fieldName | fields fieldName]>
       </populatingSearch>
     </input>

Everything else stays the same.

lguinn2
Legend

Yes, this will work with a time range picker. To explicitly add a timerange picker in Simple XML:

<input type="time" token="time_tok" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <label>Select time range</label>
      <default>
        <earliestTime>-7d@h</earliestTime>
        <latestTime>now</latestTime>
      </default>
    </input>

The above input goes into your fieldset tag along with the other information. Note that this example sets the timerange picker to "Last 7 days" as a default, but you can change that, of course.

You can use the resulting time selection in both the populating search and the actual search that creates the report. For example:

<![CDATA[yourDBconnectsearchhere earliest=$time_tok.earliest$ latest=$time_tok.latest$
              | fieldsummary maxvals=1 | rename field as fieldName | fields fieldName]>
</populatingSearch>

And

<chart>
        <title>Source type count for last 7 days</title>
        <searchString>
         youractualsearchhere
        </searchString>
        <earliestTime>$time_tok.earliest$</earliestTime>
        <latestTime>$time_tok.latest$</latestTime>
</chart>
0 Karma

sjanwity
Communicator

By 'yourDBconnectsearchhere' you mean my query, right? Because the query is quite long and goes through quite a few splunk processes! Will this also work with a time range picker?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...