Getting Data In

How to connect MS SQL Server Express Edition with Splunk DB Connect 1?

adityaanand
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to connect Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition with Splunk DB Connect V1 through GUI with Following information:

Name- RSD(name given to identify uniquely in splunk)
Database Type - Microsoft SQL Server
Host - IP Address of my own System Since Database is running locally
Port - 1433
Username - sa
Password - Password which is used for SQL Server Authentication
Additional JDBC Parameters - useCursors=true

When I click on Fetch database names. It gives an ERROR java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect.

Or, I give:

Database - name of my database and click on save then, it gives same error as above.

I have looked through any related answers that I could find, but no luck.
Some help and insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Aditya

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, it depends on the SQL authentication method, and whether you need a secured connection. That will drive the DB Connect version, the driver, and the Java version that you need.

0 Karma

adityaanand
Explorer

I have found following logs in dbx.log file

2015-04-29 09:34:33.164 dbx7826:INFO:BridgeSession - Executing Bridge command: BridgeExecutionInfo{className=com.splunk.dbx.info.DatabaseList}
2015-04-29 09:34:35.223 dbx7826:ERROR:DatabaseList - Error fetching database catalogs: java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect
java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsConnection.(JtdsConnection.java:436)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.splunk.dbx.sql.type.impl.AbstractDatabaseType.connect(AbstractDatabaseType.java:139)
at com.splunk.dbx.sql.type.impl.MicrosoftSqlServer.connect(MicrosoftSqlServer.java:85)
at com.splunk.dbx.sql.type.impl.AbstractJtdsDatabaseType.listCatalogs(AbstractJtdsDatabaseType.java:48)
at com.splunk.dbx.info.DatabaseList.invoke(DatabaseList.java:34)
at com.splunk.bridge.session.BridgeSession.call(BridgeSession.java:92)
at com.splunk.bridge.session.BridgeSession.call(BridgeSession.java:30)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

0 Karma

vganjare
Builder

Hi,

Can you please check if the connectivity from DBConnect app is established with the DB server? It seems like DBConnect is not able to reach to DB server, may be due to firewall.

Thanks!!

0 Karma

adityaanand
Explorer

How Can i make sure that connectivity from DBConnect app is established with the DB server.
I have already make allow of port 1433 in Firewall settings.
SQL Server browser service is running.
TCP port is enabled in management Studio.

0 Karma

vganjare
Builder

Hi,

you can check the connectivity by writing a small program (in java) to check if the connection is permitted or not. Also, you can try going through the DBX Debug logs.

Thanks!!

0 Karma

adityaanand
Explorer

Hi,
I have already checked writing a program in java. There is no issues of connection.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...