Splunk Dev

How to change the host name on remote instance (client)?

Deepali529
Explorer

I have Splunk instance (master) from where I need to migrate indexed data to another instance (client). I have archive the indexed data on instance (master) by setting up NFS mount point and copied archived data in thawed bucket on instance (client). Now, I need to retrieve it on my new host (Client).
As, host name of both the machines are different when I retrieved it, it displays older host. name (master's host name).

Where to change host value so that it will show the client instance host name ?
Splunk version using = 6.5.0

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

When data is indexed in Splunk, the host, source and sourcetype of the data are stored along with the raw events. Once indexed, these values cannot be changed. If what you want to see is the name of the machine that is storing the data, use splunk_server instead of host

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

When data is indexed in Splunk, the host, source and sourcetype of the data are stored along with the raw events. Once indexed, these values cannot be changed. If what you want to see is the name of the machine that is storing the data, use splunk_server instead of host

0 Karma

Deepali529
Explorer

in inputs.conf I need to mention splunk_server?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Not in inputs.conf, use splunk_server in your search.

You should set the host name to the correct host in inputs.conf - but this will affect only newly indexed data. Data that has already been indexed will not change.

0 Karma

Deepali529
Explorer

thanks... 🙂 its showing the instance name(client server)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...