All Apps and Add-ons

How to capture Solaris /var/adm/wtmpx data in splunk ?

gautham_001

Got a request to capture Solaris /var/adm/wtmpx data in splunk. For testing purpose, downloaded the Splunk Add-on for UNIX and Linux from splunk base 5.2.4 and created a app called Test-IA-wtmpx and deployed via deployment server to remote Solaris test machine. With the following configuration details:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Test-IA-wtmpx/

/bin/ before deploying to remote Solaris machine lastlog.sh who.sh executable are given required permission by executing the "chmod +x" on the .sh files

Created a local directory with below configuration in the inputs.conf

**Testing to pull the data file wtmpx** 

#Shows current user sessions
[script://./bin/who.sh]
sourcetype = who
source = who
interval = 150
index = unix
disabled = 0

# Shows last login time for users who have ever logged in
[script://./bin/lastlog.sh]
sourcetype = lastlog
source = lastlog
interval = 300
index = unix
disabled = 0

[monitor:///var/adm/wtmpx]
index = unix
disabled = 0

In forwarder management console Test-IA-wtmpx app was enabled and the restart option was also kept enabled, so that whenever the app is reloaded from DP instance the app should get restarted.

But still, I could not see the data being ingested in to splunk by executing the below simple query.

index=unix source="/var/adm/wtmpx.txt" host=node1

Can any one correct me if this is not the correct procedure to capture the wtmpx data in splunk.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

gautham_001

hey any help on this will be much appreciated !!!

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

Can you please provide logs of your splunkd.log file by greping ExecProcessor on that file .

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

cat $SPLUNK_HOME/opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log | grep -i " ExecProcessor"

0 Karma

kannu
Communicator

your last monitor entry is i think incorrect

It should be

for all the file text file

[monitor:///var/adm/*.txt]
index = unix
disabled = 0

for particular file text file

[monitor:///var/adm/wtmpx.txt]
index = unix
disabled = 0

and make sure that you have created index of named UNIX in your indexer or search head where ever you are sending your data according to outputs.conf

0 Karma

gautham_001

Hi kannu, thanks for your support on this. I had tried above steps but it did not work, still unable to get the data in splunk. Kindly guide me on this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...