Splunk Search

How to calculate the number of hours per month subtracting weekends?

jcioffari
Explorer

I'm looking to calculate the number of hours per month (minus Saturday and Sunday). Is there straightfoward way to do this?

Thanks

Tags (1)

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| gentimes start=01/01/2019 end=01/01/2020 increment=1d 
| eval week=substr(starthuman,1,3), month=substr(starthuman,5,3) 
| stats count(eval(in(week,"Sat","Sun"))) as weekdays_count 
,count(eval(in(week,"Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri"))) as onduty_count 
,count as month_count by month

gentime has month and week.
Simply, count them.

0 Karma

jcioffari
Explorer

Thanks. This is what I ended up doing awhile ago:

|gentimes start=-365 end=0 increment=1d
|eval endtime=case(strftime(now(),"%A")="Saturday",endtime - (1*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Sunday",endtime - (2*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Monday",endtime - (3*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Tuesday",endtime - (4*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Wednesday",endtime - (5*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Thursday",endtime - (6*86400),strftime(now(),"%A")="Friday",endtime - (7*86400))
|eval Date=strftime(endtime,"%m-%d-%Y")
|eval day_of_week = strftime(endtime,"%A")
|where NOT (day_of_week="Saturday" OR day_of_week="Sunday")

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I know this is an old question, but its a good example of how you can use splunk to generate values based on timedata from the past or future.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

This was a cool little question!

Try this:

|gentimes start="01/01/2018" end="12/31/2019" increment=d
    |eval numMonth=strftime(starttime, "%m"), month=strftime(starttime, "%b"), day=strftime(starttime, "%a"), year=strftime(starttime, "%Y")
    |search day!=Sat day!=Sun
    |stats count as weekdays by year month numMonth
    |eval hours=weekdays*24
    |sort + year numMonth
    |fields - numMonth

Ideally i gues you would want to write that to a lookup file with |outputlookup and maybe shedule it to run with a relative time rather than specified values.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

jcioffari
Explorer

Sorry, let me provide more detail. I need splunk to generate the number of hours by calendar month excluding weekends and then use that value in a calculation. Once I have the ability to create the values I then need to use the value in a calcuation using EVAL and CASE. So imagine a lookup file that would have the following info :

Month-YYYY | Hours
Jan-2018 | 525
Feb-2018 | 463
Mar-2018 | 535

Except I don't want to use a lookup file as solution given the manual work involved.

0 Karma

rajeshjlnt
Path Finder

@jcioffari did you find a solution for this?

0 Karma

niyaz006
Path Finder

Calculate the day of week and then remove weekends (sat/sun) from your query using search/where

| eval day_of_week =strftime(_time,"%a")
| search day_of_week!="Sat" AND day_of_week!="Sun"

0 Karma

jcioffari
Explorer

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain well enough . I need splunk to generate the number of hours per calendar month excluding weekends so I can then use the values in an EVAL and CASE statement. So imagine a lookup file as follows:

MM-YYYY | Hours
Jan-2018 535
Feb-2018 425
Mar-2018 545

(Except I don't want to use a lookupfile given the manual work to create and maintain it)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...