Splunk Search

How to calculate and add missing field to source?

user93
Communicator

source A : filename,title,version,type,date
source B: filename,date

I want to compute the title field for source b and output that into my data where the file name has the same value for source A and B.

Goal:  source=b | table _time,filename,title

Where source b does not include the title in the _raw but source a has the same filename and also includes title in the _raw.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

(source=A OR source=B) | stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(title) as title by filename | table _time, filename, title
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

(source=A OR source=B) | stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(title) as title by filename | table _time, filename, title
---

user93
Communicator

This works, but what I really want is for the events to become a new field in the search, because now I cannot add other fields lost to the stats pipe. For example, I want: | table _time,filename,title,version,w_day

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To avoid losing fields to stats, include them in stats. ... | stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(title) as title latest(version) as version, latest(w_day) as w_day by filename | ....

---

user93
Communicator

Thanks @richgalloway. I thought enough to do that, but my mistake was not carrying the by clause to the end. Makes sense to me now. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...