Knowledge Management

How long is data stored and refreshed in Splunk Cloud?

helenwall

I am working on a project in Splunk Cloud and one of the questions I wanted to iron out was how data is stored and refreshed in Splunk. The data I am analyzing is based on real-time and I am looking for active issues and how long they have been that way for. For example, if an issue has been recurring for three minutes (just an example, could be a longer or shorter time frame), then how long will the data stay in the system for? I apologize if this is vague, but I am trying to wrap my head around how this works.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DonnaVGordon

When you send data to Splunk Cloud ,It is stored on indexes. The maximum size of the index ,The maximum age of events in the index This two factor determines the data storage. maximum size of the index will specified using GB on index page.Cheap essay writing service providing best service for their customer .

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The answer is...it depends. Index size and the age of the events both govern data retention. See Splunk Cloud data policies in the Splunk Cloud User Manual.

helenwall

Thank you.

I do have another question with regards to data storage. I did some research as to the quickest way to delete sets of data that you do not want to include, and here is the result I got: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Indexer/RemovedatafromSplunk#Remove_an_index_entir...

Is there a quicker and easier way to do this? I am just doing some trial and error work. Alternatively, can I just create an entirely new instance with the data I need?

0 Karma

helenwall

Thank you Chris - is this the case even in a testing environment?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By "testing environment" do you mean a free Splunk Cloud trial? If that's the situation, then there are no Support tickets. 🙂 You can always sign up for another trial if you want to experiment with a different setup.

0 Karma

helenwall

Yes - my testing environment was my free trial, but it is Enterprise that is desktop based and not the Cloud. Do I need to create an entirely new account or can I piggyback off the account I already have? Thank you.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Cloud trial will be separate, although you can use the same splunk.com login. Here is the link for the free Cloud trial: http://splunk.force.com/SplunkCloud?prdType=SplunkCloud

0 Karma

helenwall

Unlike Enterprise, I would access the Cloud trial completely online, is that correct?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, Splunk Cloud is completely SaaS.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you need to remove an index from Splunk Cloud, you have to file a support ticket. You can also just create a new index and use that, depending on the data volume you are paying for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...