Splunk Dev

How does the search header cluster change to a single search header instance?

bestSplunker
Contributor

I have a single site cluster that architecture is as follows:

search header cluster: 4 search head + a deployer
indexer cluster : 5 peer node + 1 master node

1、I don't want to use search header clustering now. I want to change the architecture to a single search instance . What should I do?

I want to change to :

a search head and no deployer
indexer cluster : 3 peer node + 1 master node

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/DistSearch/Removeaclustermember
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/Indexer/Removepeerfrommasterlist

Do I just need to remove 3 cluster members from SHC and remove 2 peer node from indexer cluster with reference to the above document? ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have been unable to find specific documentation about this scenario, but I think this process should work:

1. With all search heads running, make sure the configuration is synced across cluster members (make sure noone is making changes).
  2. Stop all search heads and search head deployer.
  3. On the box you want to use as a standalone, edit etc/system/local/server.conf and comment out the [shclustering] section and [replication_port:.. sections.
  4. Start splunk on the solo box. Don't ever turn on the other boxes again.

Yes you can convert to a single indexer if you have enough storage space. You can use the instructions here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/Indexer/Takeapeeroffline#Take_a_peer_down_permane...

View solution in original post

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have been unable to find specific documentation about this scenario, but I think this process should work:

1. With all search heads running, make sure the configuration is synced across cluster members (make sure noone is making changes).
  2. Stop all search heads and search head deployer.
  3. On the box you want to use as a standalone, edit etc/system/local/server.conf and comment out the [shclustering] section and [replication_port:.. sections.
  4. Start splunk on the solo box. Don't ever turn on the other boxes again.

Yes you can convert to a single indexer if you have enough storage space. You can use the instructions here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/Indexer/Takeapeeroffline#Take_a_peer_down_permane...

bestSplunker
Contributor

The last question , can I convert an indexer cluster to an indexer? At present, the search factor is 2 and the replication factor is 3, which means that the indexer keeps two searchable copies. If I remove multiple peers from the indexer, if I guarantee that an indexer's data is complete?How can I do this without loss and repetition?

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, You cannot have a SF or RF of more than 1 if you only have one indexer. You would need to keep at least 3 indexers. Otherwise reduce your SF/RF first.

0 Karma

bestSplunker
Contributor

@chrisyoungerjds thank you for your reply. now ,I want to convert to 1 search head + indexer cluster with 3 peer nodes+1 master node. According to the above method, can I really do it? Now replication factor 3, the search factor is 2. If I convert, should the replication factor be changed to 2 and the search factor changed to 1?

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to have as many indexers as you have SF/RF. So if you have SF2/RF2 then you only need two indexers. If you have SF1/RF2 then you need two indexers still. If you have SF1/RF2 and one indexer dies, you won't lose data but you will need to spend time rebuilding the indexes. How long this takes depends on how much data you have. I hope this helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...