Getting Data In

How does splunk write data into Hot DB?

yuwtennis
Communicator

Hi!

I would like to ask question regarding to Hot DB.

I understand that you can specify multiple Hot DB using the maxHotBuckets option
and whenever the maxDataSize is reached per bucket it is rolled to the warm status.
(hot bucket and warm bucket is the same size)

Does splunk first create maxHotBuckets and then writes data sequentially or
does it load balances through all the buckets?

I am bit confused with the relation with maxDataSize and maxHotBuckets.
I'd appreciate if someone can clarify with this issue.

Thanks,
Yu

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

It is related to the timestamps of the events. In a normal situation where all the events are beign received one after another in the timeline, you would have only one hot bucket, and it will be filled until it reaches the maxDataSize limit.

But, you could get events from the past that won't "fit" in the time frame of the existing hot bucket, and in that situation Splunk will create a new hot bucket for the events coming from that "past time frame", in this case you will have 2 hot buckets.

So, hot buckets groups the events by time.

Regards

View solution in original post

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

It is related to the timestamps of the events. In a normal situation where all the events are beign received one after another in the timeline, you would have only one hot bucket, and it will be filled until it reaches the maxDataSize limit.

But, you could get events from the past that won't "fit" in the time frame of the existing hot bucket, and in that situation Splunk will create a new hot bucket for the events coming from that "past time frame", in this case you will have 2 hot buckets.

So, hot buckets groups the events by time.

Regards

yuwtennis
Communicator

Hi gfuente.

Thank you for the reply.

I think I am beginning to understand this nature.

If a past event comes in and splunk creates a Hot bucket,
and the next incoming events fits to the time frame of the buckets,
which bucket will be used?

Thanks,
Yu

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...