Splunk Search

How do you use the timechart command to retrieve top IP by span window with top value in this window?

evkuzin

I try to get from iis logs top source IP by requests with the number of requests in every 5 seconds.
If I just try to find top IP in span - it works well. f.e.:

• sourcetype="ms:iis:auto" cs_host="www.example.com"
    | timechart mode(c_ip) span=5sec

also search to fint count is works well:

sourcetype="ms:iis:auto" cs_host="www.example.com"

| timechart max(c_ip) span=5sec

But if I try to use both - search output nothing. why?

| timechart mode(c_ip), max(c_ip) span=5sec

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jlelli
Path Finder

Ok, let's talk about mode(): is gives you the most frequent field however it does not gives you the count used to extract that values. To obtain that value is a bit of a pain.

Additionally your search

sourcetype="ms:iis:auto" cs_host="www.example.com" | timechart max(c_ip) span=5sec
Leaves me a bit puzzled because it should give you the max value of the C_ip field; it does not give you the count. Are you sure is it working correctly?

The best solution i can advise is to use this method (https://answers.splunk.com/answers/99221/counting-how-often-the-mode-value-occurs-in-a-result-set.ht...) to extract the count of the mode(); applied to your fields it should become:

| bin _time span=5s 
| eventstats mode(C_ip) as mostfrequent by _time `
| eval isMode=if(C_ip=mostfrequent,1,0) 
| timechart span=5s mode(C_ip) as mode, sum(isMode) as hits

Hope this answers your question!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jlelli
Path Finder

Ok, let's talk about mode(): is gives you the most frequent field however it does not gives you the count used to extract that values. To obtain that value is a bit of a pain.

Additionally your search

sourcetype="ms:iis:auto" cs_host="www.example.com" | timechart max(c_ip) span=5sec
Leaves me a bit puzzled because it should give you the max value of the C_ip field; it does not give you the count. Are you sure is it working correctly?

The best solution i can advise is to use this method (https://answers.splunk.com/answers/99221/counting-how-often-the-mode-value-occurs-in-a-result-set.ht...) to extract the count of the mode(); applied to your fields it should become:

| bin _time span=5s 
| eventstats mode(C_ip) as mostfrequent by _time `
| eval isMode=if(C_ip=mostfrequent,1,0) 
| timechart span=5s mode(C_ip) as mode, sum(isMode) as hits

Hope this answers your question!

0 Karma

evkuzin

thx a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...