Splunk Search

How do you add the average and the standard deviation as a new field?

mpasha
Path Finder

Hi,

This might be trivial question, but I am having a hard time to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the problem:

I have logs from remote VPN servers reporting the sent and received data in each session for each user.

I am trying to calculate the average of the data sent, and standard deviation over a month, then add the average and twice the calculated standard deviation together as the alerting threshold for the user.
However, I cannot add the value of the average and the stddev !!

Here is the SPL I have developed for this:

eventtype=RAS AND (EventCode=20272) AND ConnectionID!="NA" AND UserID="XYZ"
| dedup ConnectionID
| bucket _time span=1mon@mon
| stats sum(Data_Sent) as Monthly_Total_Sent stdev(Data_Sent) as Monthly_Sent_Stdev by _time UserID
| eval Monthly_Avg_Sent(MB)=round(Monthly_Avg_Sent/(1024*1024),2), Monthly_Sent_Stdev(MB)=round(Monthly_Sent_Stdev/(1024*1024),1),Abnormal_Sent_Limit(MB)=2*Monthly_Sent_Stdev(MB)+Monthly_Avg_Sent(MB)

However, Splunk errors out on the Abnormal_Sent_Limit(MB) calculation!!

The error i see is:

Error in 'eval' command: The
'monthly_sent_stdev' function is
unsupported or undefined.

I also have tried Values() but with the same results. I mean :

Abnormal_Sent_Limit(MB)=2*values(Monthly_Sent_Stdev(MB))+values(Monthly_Avg_Sent(MB))

I am pretty sure i am doing something wrong, but I don't know what that is!!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to do it like this:

| dedup ConnectionID 
| stats sum(Data_Sent) as Monthly_Total_Sent stdev(Data_Sent) as Monthly_Sent_Stdev by _time UserID 
| eval 'Monthly_Avg_Sent(MB)'=round(Monthly_Avg_Sent/(1024*1024),2), 'Monthly_Sent_Stdev(MB)'=round(Monthly_Sent_Stdev/(1024*1024),1),'Abnormal_Sent_Limit(MB)'= 2 * 'Monthly_Sent_Stdev(MB)' + 'Monthly_Avg_Sent(MB)'

As a general rule, its a good idea to keep your field names very simple. and then just rename to proper names at the very end. That way you don't need to worry about single quoting fields.

0 Karma

mpasha
Path Finder

i changed the variable names but still nothing shows up!! here is what i have done again:

| dedup ConnectionID
| stats sum(Data_Sent) as MTSent stdev(Data_Sent) as MSStdev avg(Data_Sent) as MAvgSent by _time UserID
| eval MTSentMB=round(MTSent/(1024*1024),2), MAvgSentMB=round(MAvgSent/(1024*1024),2),  MSentStdevMB=round(MSStdev/(1024*1024),1)
| eval  AbSentLimMB=2*(MSStdevMB)
| sort 0 -_time
| table _time UserID MTSentMB MAvgSentMB MMaxSentMB MSentStdevMB  AbSentLimMB

all but the AbSentLimMB return values!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...