Splunk Search

How do we measure Search Proficiency of our users?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We use the following in order to assess the search proficiency of our users -

-- Search Proficiency: A measure of how effectively saved searches are written by our users using our SPL language over the selected timeframe. It is calculated by measuring the number of events scanned (Scanned_Count) and the number of events brought back off disk (Event_Count). [Search Proficiency = (Event_Count / Scan_Count) * 100%]

Does it make sense? Can we improve on that?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think that approach is nonsense and would tell you ... something, anyway.

Maybe combine that with some keyword analysis on the searches themselves?

This may get you started:

index=_audit action=search search=*
| rex field=search mode=sed "s/['`]//g"
| eval command_list = commands(search)
| chart count over command_list by user

I'd categorize the commands by "terribleness". We can probably help with that, but at this point I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader. 🙂

Some hints:
join is suspect every time it's used. The number of times I've seen join be legitimately needed is nearly zero - but it's common in some folk's SPL and a horrendously bad performing thing.

Some others that aren't necessarily wrong, but are good to sort of double-check
1- transaction usually can be replaced with stats, but sometimes it's the right thing.
2- append is sometimes OK, but can be misused....
3- streamstats can be awesome when used correctly, but can sometimes can be ... bad.

Hmm, I was going to keep going, but I think at some point it's a judgement call. For instance, transaction was a good one - transaction can usually be replaced with stats and be better/faster, but not quite always. Sometimes it's the only real way to get something done though (if you need all of a maxspan, an endswith clause and also a startswith clause it can be really hard to rewrite to stats...)

So maybe flag a few of the above (and similar) commands, then combine it with the stats you were thinking of ... yeah, I think this might get you at least some sort of reasonable metric by which to judge folks.

Hope this helps, and happy Splunking!
-Rich

(P.S. Note I had to strip out backticks and single quotes from the search string to make the commands work. There may be other minor gotchas to get rid of too.)

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think that approach is nonsense and would tell you ... something, anyway.

Maybe combine that with some keyword analysis on the searches themselves?

This may get you started:

index=_audit action=search search=*
| rex field=search mode=sed "s/['`]//g"
| eval command_list = commands(search)
| chart count over command_list by user

I'd categorize the commands by "terribleness". We can probably help with that, but at this point I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader. 🙂

Some hints:
join is suspect every time it's used. The number of times I've seen join be legitimately needed is nearly zero - but it's common in some folk's SPL and a horrendously bad performing thing.

Some others that aren't necessarily wrong, but are good to sort of double-check
1- transaction usually can be replaced with stats, but sometimes it's the right thing.
2- append is sometimes OK, but can be misused....
3- streamstats can be awesome when used correctly, but can sometimes can be ... bad.

Hmm, I was going to keep going, but I think at some point it's a judgement call. For instance, transaction was a good one - transaction can usually be replaced with stats and be better/faster, but not quite always. Sometimes it's the only real way to get something done though (if you need all of a maxspan, an endswith clause and also a startswith clause it can be really hard to rewrite to stats...)

So maybe flag a few of the above (and similar) commands, then combine it with the stats you were thinking of ... yeah, I think this might get you at least some sort of reasonable metric by which to judge folks.

Hope this helps, and happy Splunking!
-Rich

(P.S. Note I had to strip out backticks and single quotes from the search string to make the commands work. There may be other minor gotchas to get rid of too.)

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Very kind @rich7177 !

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

The command generates a beautiful and useful chart @rich7177.

Maybe it's also the commands which are not used such as fields.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...