Splunk Search

How do I use a large input in a query?

trunghung
Path Finder

I am try to write some query[ies] so that I find user who had done action A AFTER they did action B . the time span is simply too long to use transaction command. Previously when I used to run a query for userid who did action A (the smaller set of the 2), manually make that list into a giant (userid1 OR userid2) and search for users who did action B. This would work when the output from action A was around 10k id. Now I have to do thing same thing, except the the number of user now increase to the hundreds of thousand range too impractical to do the manual approach. I tried using subsearch but that doesn't work well with large input data. can someone suggest a solution that scale well? thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

(index=eventA OR index=eventB) (action="A" OR action="B") | streamstats count(eval(action="A")) AS SessionID BY user | sort SessionID user
0 Karma

trunghung
Path Finder

sorry I left out an important part of the question, I need to find the userID of those who did action A AFTER they did action B. your query wont' work. thanks you for your help though

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, try this:

(index=eventA OR index=eventB) (action="A" OR action="B") | streamstats count(eval(action="A")) AS SessionID BY user userID | sort SessionID user userID
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Have you tried something like this

index=eventA OR index=eventB action=A or action=B | chart count over user by action | where actionA>0 AND actionB>0
0 Karma

trunghung
Path Finder

sorry I left out an important part of the question, I need to find the userID of those who did action A AFTER they did action B. your query wont' work. thanks you for your help though

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=eventA OR index=eventB action=A or action=B | stats latest(eval(if(action="A", _time, null()))) as a latest(eval(if(action="B", _time, null()))) as b by userid | where a>b
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...