Splunk Search

How do I send Kubernetes Node name to Splunk?

catchaj88
Explorer

We are running a Kubernetes cluster and are shipping pod logs to Splunk Cloud.

Our current setup:
1. Universal forwarders are deployed as Daemonset, which monitors /var/log/containers/*. Sample from inputs.conf:
[monitor:///var/log/containers/kube*.log]
host_regex = /var/log/containers/(.*)_.*_.*\.log
sourcetype = kube-state
index = kepler-dev
2. The Universal forwarders send data to heavy forwards which applies some regex
3. Heavy forwarders send data to Splunk Cloud for indexing

I want to send the hostname of the worker node either as part of the host or a separate field. Is there a way I can achieve this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

outcoldman
Communicator

I would highly suggest looking for the alternatives for forwarding Kubernetes logs to Splunk:

• Open Source Free version of Splunk Connect for Kubernetes - this is a recommended by Splunk option for forwarding logs, built on top of FluentD.
  • Monitoring Kubernetes with Collectord by Outcold Solutions (I represent this company) - this is a proprietary software, takes 10 minutes to set up to forward logs and collect metrics. This is a complete solution for forwarding container, application, host logs, monitor performance of containers and health of the clusters.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...