Splunk Search

How do I run a Splunk search using R in the Splunk search bar and view the results on a dashboard?

m_vivek
Path Finder

I am very new to splunk .

Step 1: I want to run a splunk search on my local machine data and import the results into a csv/text file.
Step 2: Then I want to run an R script/Program on the obtained text file to create another excel file consisting of the results.

I have, at present, the R app (created by Rfujara) installed too.

Is there some way I can automate the whole process or integrate step1 and Step 2 into a single step so that I can directly view the results on a dashboard in Splunk by simple running a search query or by running an R script in the search bar?

Simply put, I want to be able to do something like

"the splunk search query to get necessary data" | r script to run/extract what I want from prev step | Splunk command to view results on dashboard

My primary issue lies in pointing the data obtained from the splunk search query into R directly, without having to change the file names in my R program manually each time I run it.

Thanks!

0 Karma

ngwells
Engager

Not sure if this will help but you can structure you script like this (Assuming you're pointing to R correctly):

index=_internal| r "getdim<-function(input){ return(aggregate(input[,'log_level'],by=list(input[,'log_level']),length))}; output=data.frame(getdim(input))"

Click "Visualization" tab to see bar chart of counts for Windows 7 _internal index. might need some ;'s to deploy in a dashboard.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...