Getting Data In

How do I combine two data sources and get rid of repeated IDs?

Ragate
Explorer

Currently I have two data sources with different names for the same IDs. One is called License Key Identifier and the other is called LicenseKeyID.
As of right now I have this:

source="c:\\users\\ragate\\desktop\\splunk\\jsondump.txt" | join type=left substr('context.custom.dimensions{}.LicenseKey',4,7) [search source="C:\\Users\\ragate\\Desktop\\splunk\\LMCustomerRevLicense.csv"] | eval LicenseKeyID=substr('context.custom.dimensions{}.LicenseKey',4,7) |

It only pulls from the bottom row of the excel sheet for the License Key Identifiers but gives me the correct LicenseKeyID. How do I get it to pull all the rows for the License Key Identifiers and then get rid of the ones that do not match up with the LicenseKeyID?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Did you really ask this question 3 times?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

So, first, you have two files you are trying to compare.

index="foo"  source="c:\\users\\ragate\\desktop\\splunk\\jsondump.txt" 
| eval JSONKey = substr('context.custom.dimensions{}.LicenseKey',4,7) 
| fields ...list the fields you want to keep...
| head 100

Verify that the above is extracting correctly.

index="foo" source="C:\\Users\\ragate\\Desktop\\splunk\\LMCustomerRevLicense.csv
| eval LMCKey = substr('context.custom.dimensions{}.LicenseKey',4,7) 
| fields ...list the fields you want to keep...
| head 100

Verify that the above is extracting correctly.

If either of the above fails, then please give us a non-confidential version of the code that correctly extracts the file, and please give the full list of fields you care about in each file.

If both work, then something like this uses stats (rather than join) to combine them....

index="foo"  (source="c:\\users\\ragate\\desktop\\splunk\\jsondump.txt"  OR
    source="C:\\Users\\ragate\\Desktop\\splunk\\LMCustomerRevLicense.csv") 
| eval rectype=if(source="c:\\users\\ragate\\desktop\\splunk\\jsondump.txt", "JSONKey","LMCKey")
| eval matchKey = substr('context.custom.dimensions{}.LicenseKey',4,7) 
| fields ...list the fields you want to keep from EITHER file...
| stats values(*) by matchKey
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...