Splunk Search

How do I change the REST API execution timeout?

thelucas
Explorer

I am trying to setup the DUO Splunk Connector and am getting the following error in Splunk Web upon submitting the configuration form:

Encountered the following error while trying to save: Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/duo_splunkapp/data/inputs/duo_input: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

I have verified my Key and Host settings.

Splunkd.log:

01-11-2018 09:32:31.789 -0700 INFO  ModularInputs - <stderr> Argument validation for scheme=duo_input:  Validating input
01-11-2018 09:33:01.751 -0700 ERROR ModularInputs - Argument validation for scheme=duo_input: killing process, because executing it took too long (over 30000 msecs).
01-11-2018 09:33:01.753 -0700 INFO  ModularInputs - Argument validation for scheme=duo_input: script running failed (killed by signal 9: Killed).
01-11-2018 09:33:01.754 -0700 WARN  HttpListener - Socket error from 127.0.0.1 while accessing /servicesNS/admin/duo_splunkapp/data/inputs/duo_input: Broken pipe

I believe that I need to raise a timeout setting, but my searches have turned up null when looking for any sort of timeout setting that the Splunk REST API references.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thelucas
Explorer

Hi folks,

In this particular case I had to edit:
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/web.conf

adding the stanza:

splunkdConnectionTimeout = 120

which is defaulted to 30 seconds

View solution in original post

thelucas
Explorer

Hi folks,

In this particular case I had to edit:
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/web.conf

adding the stanza:

splunkdConnectionTimeout = 120

which is defaulted to 30 seconds

wrangler2x
Motivator

I set this to 120 and verified it with this rest:

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/configs/conf-web/settings

after restarting splunkweb. however, I get the same message in ~/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log which is that it got killed after 30000 msecs (30 seconds).

0 Karma

thelucas
Explorer

Did you restart splunkd (i.e. not just splunkweb)?

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

Yes, I did. Also I verified the settings using the rest you show above.

0 Karma

valiquet
Contributor
|REST timeout=33333 (in seconds)

thelucas
Explorer

In what configuration file?

I ran:

find /opt/splunk/ -name "*.conf" -print | xargs grep "REST timeout"

and

grep -rnw '/opt/splunk/' -e 'REST timeout'

And didn't find it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...