Getting Data In

How can I purposely duplicate events to multiple indexes?

juniormint
Communicator

I realize this will incur twice the license usage...but lets ignore that fact for a moment.

How can I get an event into two indexes?

My events are coming from a universal forwarder with a default index of "ABC" and source="XYZ".

On the indexer I have indexes "ABC" and "DEF".

What I would like is to send all source XYZ events to the ABC index and a subset to DEF.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ShaneNewman
Motivator

I have done this with the index and forward option, although I will say that I don't do it anymore. My preferred method now, is to create a summary index on a 3 minute delay to send the filtered events to the other index. This means that we don't have to worry about the license issue.

Is there a reason why this is not acceptable for you? You can stream the _raw to your summary...

View solution in original post

ShaneNewman
Motivator

I have done this with the index and forward option, although I will say that I don't do it anymore. My preferred method now, is to create a summary index on a 3 minute delay to send the filtered events to the other index. This means that we don't have to worry about the license issue.

Is there a reason why this is not acceptable for you? You can stream the _raw to your summary...

ShaneNewman
Motivator

What I have show above mimics index and forward, it is just less cumbersome and makes it easier to change. Changes using this method also do not require a restart of the instance either, just a reload of the EAI Objects.

0 Karma

juniormint
Communicator

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Route_inputs_to_speci...

I think the index and forward option is what is shown on this page

juniormint
Communicator

That is great and would work for my stated problem...I think. What is the index and forward option?

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

This would go into a savedsearches.conf file.

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

For the summary index option:

[_some_search_name]
action.summary_index = 1
action.summary_index._name = DEF
action.summary_index.stat_tag = #Treat this as sourcetype#
cron_schedule = */1 * * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -3m@m
dispatch.latest_time = -2m@m
enableSched = 1
realtime_schedule = 0
search = index=ABC sourcetype=your_sourcetype (add an additional search field to filter the results you want to send)

You can preform a sistats at the end if you want, although it is not needed if you just want the raw events.

0 Karma

juniormint
Communicator

I'm interested in both approaches..can you point me at relevant doc pages? or provide an example?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...