Splunk Search

How can I find out whether the time is within working hours?

danielbb
Motivator

We would like to know whether the event time is within working hours and a developer came up with the following. Does it make sense?

<base search> 
| eval TimeZone=_time+" EST" 
| eval eventTime=strftime(strptime(TimeZone,"%s.%Q %Z"),"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.000%z")
| eval subtime=substr(TimeZone, 1, 10)
| eval date_wday=strftime(subtime,"%A")
| eval date_hour=strftime(subtime,"%k")
| search 
  date_wday IN ("Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday") AND date_hour >= 7 AND date_hour < 18
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jacobpevans
Motivator

Edit: The comments to my answer look accurate according to @lguinn2 (here) - In other words, these fields are not what I thought they were. (/Edit)

Original text:

Sure, but you already have those fields (at least in 7.3) without doing any calculations

<base search> date_wday IN ("Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday") date_hour >= 7 date_hour < 18

New answer:
See link provided by: @tsheets13, e.g.:

sourcetype=foo
 | eval date_hour = strftime(_time, "%H"),
        date_wday = strftime(_time, "%w")
 | search date_hour>=7 date_hour<=18 date_wday>=1 date_wday<=5

Where date_wday of 1 is Monday and 5 is Friday.

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.

View solution in original post

tsheets13
Communicator

Should work but a bit more complex than necessary. Look at this
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/371874/how-to-only-include-data-for-certain-hours-of-the.html

jacobpevans
Motivator

Edit: The comments to my answer look accurate according to @lguinn2 (here) - In other words, these fields are not what I thought they were. (/Edit)

Original text:

Sure, but you already have those fields (at least in 7.3) without doing any calculations

<base search> date_wday IN ("Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday") date_hour >= 7 date_hour < 18

New answer:
See link provided by: @tsheets13, e.g.:

sourcetype=foo
 | eval date_hour = strftime(_time, "%H"),
        date_wday = strftime(_time, "%w")
 | search date_hour>=7 date_hour<=18 date_wday>=1 date_wday<=5

Where date_wday of 1 is Monday and 5 is Friday.

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.

danielbb
Motivator

Weird thing as the date fields exist but with no values. What can it be?

alt text

It seems to be an old feature ... Is date_wday reliable to search on?

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

Apparently for Unix, the date fields are being populated but not for Windows.

0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

We're in a full Windows environment. I've never had issues using them.

Either way, yes the search you provided makes sense. It's just much more work than should be necessary. We're on 7.24 by the way.

Cheers,
Jacob

danielbb
Motivator

We are on 7.3, so I wonder what we are missing...

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

Looking at variance between time and date* fields1

alt text

@lguinn2 actually discourages us from using these date* fields.

0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

Updated my answer. I agree with your comments.

Cheers,
Jacob

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...