Splunk Search

How can I break events in my search?

patouellet
Path Finder

Hi,

Trying to break events and can't figure this one out. I receive a bunch of events in a single line, I want to break them using a pattern but it's not working for me. I'm using the Add data screen. Events should break when encountering <162>

I've tried BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE, LINE_BREAKER - nothing makes the event break. What am I doing wrong?

Sample of the log below:

<162>Mar 11 21:45:03 MACHINE CEF:0|PowerTech|Interact|3.1|TCA0001|The bytestream file *N/*N /Help Systems/Robot SCHEDULE ENTERPRISE/tmp/s7472_6859175.sz authority has been changed for user profile *PUBLIC.|2|src=X.X.X.X dst=0.0.0.0 msg=TYPE:JRN CLS:AUD JJOB:ENTSERVER1 JUSER:RBTENTUSR JNBR:171392 PGM:QLESPI OBJECT: LIBRARY: MEMBER: DETAIL:A *N *N *STMF *PUBLIC    Y   Y Y Y Y     RPL        0000 00000 * * *NA *NA<162>Mar 11 21:45:03 MACHINE CEF:0|PowerTech|Interact|3.1|TCA0001|The bytestream file *N/*N /Help Systems/Robot SCHEDULE ENTERPRISE/tmp/s7472_6859175.sz authority has been changed for user profile RBTENTUSR.|2|src=X.X.X.X dst=0.0.0.0 msg=TYPE:JRN CLS:AUD JJOB:ENTSERVER1 JUSER:RBTENTUSR JNBR:171392 PGM:QLESPI OBJECT: LIBRARY: MEMBER: DETAIL:A *N *N *STMF RBTENTUSR  Y Y Y   Y Y Y Y   Y Y RPL        0000 00000 * * *NA *NA
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi patouellet,

try this props.conf on the parsing Splunk instance, and restart Splunk after the change:

[YourSourcetypeNameHere]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\<162\>|\s\*NA\s\*NA(.*)\<
TIME_PREFIX=\<162\>

Hope that helps ...

cheers, MuS

UPDATE:

Took this to slack and got more details, like it is a TCP input and the events actually do not contain *NA. After some tries this line breaker worked just fine:

LINE_BREAKER=[\*\.\r\n\)\d]+()\<162\>|^()\<162\> 

The response of the OP was awesome, and I want to share it:

alt text

View solution in original post

dpanych
Communicator

Make sure you're setting the correct conf in the right location:
http://wiki.splunk.com/Where_do_I_configure_my_Splunk_settings%3F

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi patouellet,

try this props.conf on the parsing Splunk instance, and restart Splunk after the change:

[YourSourcetypeNameHere]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\<162\>|\s\*NA\s\*NA(.*)\<
TIME_PREFIX=\<162\>

Hope that helps ...

cheers, MuS

UPDATE:

Took this to slack and got more details, like it is a TCP input and the events actually do not contain *NA. After some tries this line breaker worked just fine:

LINE_BREAKER=[\*\.\r\n\)\d]+()\<162\>|^()\<162\> 

The response of the OP was awesome, and I want to share it:

alt text

patouellet
Path Finder

I appreciate the help. But it's not working for me. I still get most events wrapped in Splunk as a single event. I've done exactly what you suggested - no luck.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

take a file that contains the events, use the Add Data page http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Howdoyouwanttoadddata and add the file. On the next screen use the advanced settings and add all the options from the above props.conf click apply and you see it works 😉
Reasons why it does not work for you:

• You did not apply the props.conf on the parsing Splunk instance, that is either a heavy weight forwarder or an indexer
  • You did not restart Splunk after applying the props.conf
  • the sourcetype in the the props.conf does not match your sourcetype, eq typo? what for Cases in the sourcetype!
  • the props.conf will only work on new events

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

patouellet
Path Finder

Tried all of that - not working for me. It just doesn't split all the events like I thought it would. I still see multiple <162> tag inside a single Splunk event.

It's the first time I'm stuck like this. I'm usually pretty good at this and been using the tool for 2 years.

Have you tried with Add Data page with the sample data in my first post? Is it working for you?

Thank you.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, used your provided examples, copied multiple lines into a file and used the Add Data page to create the props.conf options.

0 Karma

patouellet
Path Finder

Ok good. You mentionned multiple lines - make sure there's no LF or CR anywhere - what if all these multiple "lines" are just one big mess of characters, just one big line with multiple <162> - is it working then?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...