Alerting

How can I add the "act*" and "target*" fields to this table with "Host" being the primary field?

Earenhart
Path Finder

Hello everyone,

This search is designed to alert on potential password spraying attempts on servers in my environment. I have this search working when I leave out "| appendpipe [table act* target*]", but I am trying to figure out how to add those fields to the results while keeping my created "Server" field intact. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4625 
| eval event=_raw
| rex mode=sed field=event "s/[\n\r]//g"
| rex field=event "Subject:.*Security ID:\t*(?.*?)\tAccount Name:(?.*?)\t*Account Domain:\t*(?.*?)Logon ID:\t*(?.*?)Logon Type"
| rex field=event "Account For Which Logon Failed:\tSecurity ID:\t*(?.*?)\tAccount Name:(?.*?)\t*Account Domain:\t*(?.*?)Failure Information" 
| bin _time span=1m 
| stats dc(user) as EvtCounts by src 
| rename src as server
| where EvtCounts >50
| eval Server = server." (".EvtCounts.")"
| table Server
| appendpipe [table act* target*]
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The only fields available at the end of your query are 'server' and 'EvtCounts. That's because thestatscommand filters out all fields except those explicitly mentioned. You should be able to avoid that by usingstreamstats`. Like this:

| streamstats dc(user) as EvtCounts by src 
| rename src as server
| where EvtCounts >50
| table Server act target*
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The only fields available at the end of your query are 'server' and 'EvtCounts. That's because thestatscommand filters out all fields except those explicitly mentioned. You should be able to avoid that by usingstreamstats`. Like this:

| streamstats dc(user) as EvtCounts by src 
| rename src as server
| where EvtCounts >50
| table Server act target*
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Earenhart
Path Finder

Thank you very much Rich! Using streamstats did the trick.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...