Splunk Dev

How License Master will identify the components of Splunk?

ganesh999
Engager

Hi Splunkers,

I would like to know how the license master will identify the components of Splunk. which is DS, HF, UF, CM, Deployer, SH and Indexer.

Thanks in Advance,
Ganesh

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bpadmanbhachari
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The license slaves are connected to the license master via management port. License master every minute will hit the license slaves rest point at 8089 port which discloses information about license slave. If you see today's usage to open in search you will be able to find the rest command and what information is collected from slave. Also, you can try hitting the rest API directly to know what information is disclosed from slave to master.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Just nitpicking, but I don't think the License Master 'hits' the Slaves, at least from a TCP perspective.
Slaves open a socket to the webservice on the Master and send metrics to it. Its a minor point, but relevant if someone is having to configure firewall ports etc.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

bpadmanbhachari
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

But in today's license usage when i opened in search it is using rest command hitting the rest point of the slaves. So i opened same rest API via 8089 port and found the same information. Based on the SPL i just understood this way.

0 Karma

rmjharris
Path Finder

The only thing the license server is concerned with is the amount of data being indexed. It monitors the amount of data that is indexed by other instances that are configured to use it as a license server. The instance type is unimportant.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...