Getting Data In

Group events by unique ID then time from start to finish

username_user

Hi,

I have a need to time certain events in my logs. We have the log format as below. What I need to be able to do is sort the logs by id: (which is a completely unique field) and then time the events. EVENTSTATUS is the status of the log, and there is a start, middle, and end. So that we can see how long each event is taking. I think we need to use the duration function but i'm not sure how to complete this.

[01-Oct-2007 11:52:26.816][INF][EVENTSTATUS][ id:abc-00e081b79c4e event:info heading:info heading:info ] [01-Oct-2007 11:52:27.716][INF][EVENTSTATUS][ id:abc-00e081b79c4e event:info heading:info heading:info ] [01-Oct-2007 11:52:28.362][INF][EVENTSTATUS][ id:abc-00e081b79c4e event:info heading:info heading:info ] [01-Oct-2007 11:52:29.232][INF][EVENTSTATUS][ id:abc-00e081b79c4e event:info heading:info heading:info ]

Tags (1)
0 Karma
2 Solutions

ftk
Motivator

You likely need to use the transaction command which will give you a duration field for each whole event.

I assume that EVENTSTATUS is something indicating that the event started and stopped -- in this case I will use "started" and "stopped" but you can replace the placeholders with your relevant data (your sanitized log doesn't give any clues as to what the identifiers are). I also assume that the id: field is extracted, and we will use it to build a transaction.

For transaction you basically tie together a number of events based on a common identifier (in this case id) and give "searches" to define the start and end of a transaction. In your example I would do it as such:

your search terms | transaction id startswith="started" endswith="stopped"

This basically takes the results of "your search terms", ties them together by id, with each transaction starting with a substring of "started" and ending with a substring of "stopped". Of course you will have to adjust this to your particular logs. After running the transaction command you will receive a duration field for each transaction detailing the time it took from start to finish.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Much better than transaction in this case is just:

... | stats 
        max(_time) as last
        min(_time) as first
      by idfield
    | eval duration = last-first

or

... | stats range(_time) as duration by idfield

Assuming of course that you get idfield extracted from each event. Seem to me that

... | rex "\[id:(?<idfield>\S+)" | ...

should do it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Much better than transaction in this case is just:

... | stats 
        max(_time) as last
        min(_time) as first
      by idfield
    | eval duration = last-first

or

... | stats range(_time) as duration by idfield

Assuming of course that you get idfield extracted from each event. Seem to me that

... | rex "\[id:(?<idfield>\S+)" | ...

should do it.

0 Karma

username_user

I got the regex working exactly as you have put it. The transaction is working fine, in fact its quite good to be able to specify a start and end event, as we sometimes want to time different things.

0 Karma

ftk
Motivator

You likely need to use the transaction command which will give you a duration field for each whole event.

I assume that EVENTSTATUS is something indicating that the event started and stopped -- in this case I will use "started" and "stopped" but you can replace the placeholders with your relevant data (your sanitized log doesn't give any clues as to what the identifiers are). I also assume that the id: field is extracted, and we will use it to build a transaction.

For transaction you basically tie together a number of events based on a common identifier (in this case id) and give "searches" to define the start and end of a transaction. In your example I would do it as such:

your search terms | transaction id startswith="started" endswith="stopped"

This basically takes the results of "your search terms", ties them together by id, with each transaction starting with a substring of "started" and ending with a substring of "stopped". Of course you will have to adjust this to your particular logs. After running the transaction command you will receive a duration field for each transaction detailing the time it took from start to finish.

username_user

finally worked it out. thanks.

0 Karma

username_user

OK. I'm getting a little closer, but i'm not having much luck with my field extraction. Our id: is a UUID so i'm trying to do the following as an inline field extraction.
id:=^((?-i:0x)?[A-Fa-f0-9]{32}| [A-Fa-f0-9]{8}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{12}| {[A-Fa-f0-9]{8}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}-[A-Fa-f0-9]{12}})$

without much luck. any help?

0 Karma

username_user

Hi ftk,

Thank you for the quick response. I have tried this but when I pass my search results into the transaction command I get 0 results.

source="monitor.log" | transaction id startswith="BEGIN" endswith="COMPLETE"

This returns 0 results.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use an index as per this page? or setup id a s a field or something?

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/AppManagement/Buildatransaction

I'm lost as to how this is supposed to work.

I appreciate your assistance!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...