All Apps and Add-ons

Google Analytics connector

iKate
Builder

How can one get Google Analytics data in Splunk? I'm interested more in business data of an Internet service rather than system administrator's params that can be collected by Sideview Web Analytics addon.
At the moment we use script that extracts necessary params out of GA into csv file that is then indexed in Splunk. But it's not convenient way of getting data in, comparing with some BI products that can do this (e.g. Datameer). Why not to enrich splunk with this functionality that can be used widely?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At the moment there is no Splunk scripted input to collect data from Google Analytics.

In technical terms, this would be accomplished using a general Google API query using a Splunk scripted input. It will be necessary to write a little code from the group implementing this. It is a bit ambiguous but this can get started by exploring the Google Data Integration piece here. There is also very nice example of the code in Java published as a model to help achieve remote connectivity and then data export (to CSV format as a general example).

You would export data using the Google Analytics Data Export API. This will allow registered account users to access the data store and export in any desired format – i.e. CSV, TSV, YAML, JSON or XML. All of which can then be consumed by Splunk. You can get some basic info here.

I hope this helps,

View solution in original post

agoodall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check out the Google Analytics BigQuery Add-on for a solution. It uses the BQ API to get the GA data indexed.

https://github.com/AusDTO/Splunk-GABQ-Addon

theunf
Communicator

Thanks... BTW, Splunk for Facebook is gone, there´s no Apple Store or Google Play either.

These are common good stuff sources of data and not so silly to be forgotten ... that´s a lack of sharing of the community, marketing blindness or really no one are doing this ?

0 Karma

theunf
Communicator

I've done almost the same with Amazon.

How about Google Play ? And Apple Store ?

Same way ? Their API sends logs to my server, get Splunk to ingest it, parse my own way and then Dash it?

0 Karma

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At the moment there is no Splunk scripted input to collect data from Google Analytics.

In technical terms, this would be accomplished using a general Google API query using a Splunk scripted input. It will be necessary to write a little code from the group implementing this. It is a bit ambiguous but this can get started by exploring the Google Data Integration piece here. There is also very nice example of the code in Java published as a model to help achieve remote connectivity and then data export (to CSV format as a general example).

You would export data using the Google Analytics Data Export API. This will allow registered account users to access the data store and export in any desired format – i.e. CSV, TSV, YAML, JSON or XML. All of which can then be consumed by Splunk. You can get some basic info here.

I hope this helps,

iKate
Builder

thanks for the answer Gilberto. Nevertheless I hope some day there will be such plugin.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...