Splunk Search

Getting _time into a |rest search

TheJagoff
Communicator

Hello,

I have a client that does not have the App for Unix/Nix and does not want to install it.
Problem: I need to get the _time into this somehow so it can be used as Metrics in a Base Search for ITSI and the search below isn't recognizing it
I need to track Indexer Disk Usage and took this from another app to attempt to get it adding |eval _time=now()

| rest splunk_server="Indexer01" /services/server/status/partitions-space |eval _time=now()
| eval free = if(isnotnull(available), available, free)
| eval usage = round((capacity - free) / 1024, 2)
| eval capacity = round(capacity / 1024, 2)
| eval compare_usage = usage." / ".capacity
| eval pct_usage = round(usage / capacity * 100, 2)
| stats first(fs_type) as fs_type first(compare_usage) AS compare_usage first(pct_usage) as pct_usage by mount_point
| eval OptMountUsage=(if(mount_point=="/opt/mount",pct_usage,NULL)), OptMountSplunkdata2Usage=(if(mount_point=="/opt/mount/splunkdata",pct_usage,NULL))

Is there any way of doing this and if so, what would the resulting search look like for the Base Search?

Many thanks as always

0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello TheJagoff,
@dineshraj9 comment is great, here is how i slightly modified the search to give you the time field:

| rest splunk_server="*" /services/server/status/partitions-space 
| eval _time=now()
| stats first(fs_type) as fs_type first(compare_usage) AS compare_usage first(pct_usage) as pct_usage by mount_point _time
| eval OptMountUsage=(if(mount_point=="/opt/mount",pct_usage,NULL)), OptMountSplunkdata2Usage=(if(mount_point=="/opt/mount/splunkdata",pct_usage,NULL))

Added _time after the by clause in line 8
you can outputlookup or collect to summary and then run your base search against it.
however, this is a multi step process while the OS module for ITSI has this all pre-built in a much more efficient and clean way.
any reason not installing the TA for nix?

hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello TheJagoff,
@dineshraj9 comment is great, here is how i slightly modified the search to give you the time field:

| rest splunk_server="*" /services/server/status/partitions-space 
| eval _time=now()
| stats first(fs_type) as fs_type first(compare_usage) AS compare_usage first(pct_usage) as pct_usage by mount_point _time

Added _time after the by clause in line 8
you can outputlookup or collect to summary and then run your base search against it.
however, this is a multi step process while the OS module for ITSI has this all pre-built in a much more efficient and clean way.
any reason not installing the TA for nix?

hope it helps

0 Karma

TheJagoff
Communicator

After discussing this morning, they installed the App and Add-on for Unix/Nix this morning so it's all good either way.

Your modifications to the |rest statement works perfectly. Many thanks!

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

You are adding |eval _time=now() at the top and then performing a | stats function which is not having the _time field.
Try adding |eval _time=now() at the end.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...