Splunk Dev

Getting rid of "other" in pie chart

Nicholas_Key
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Ninjas,

It seems that I'm unable to remove "other" in my pie chart when I do this:

index=facebook sourcetype="facebook_stream_table" stream_attribution="*" | eval stream_attribution=if(stream_attribution=="", "None", stream_attribution) | chart count over stream_attribution useother=false

Also I'm seeing this message "The following options were specified but have no effect when a split-by clause is not provided:useother"

Then I tried

index=facebook sourcetype="facebook_stream_table" stream_attribution="*" | eval stream_attribution=if(stream_attribution=="", "None", stream_attribution) | chart count over stream_attribution limit=1000 useother=false

and I get this message "The following options were specified but have no effect when a split-by clause is not provided:limit, useother"

I'm unable to get any results when I drilldown with stream_attribution=other since there isn't such value in sourcetype=facebook_stream_table

I also took a look at this http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/30018/useotherf-in-a-pie-chart but it doesn't work.

Splunk version: 4.3.1, MacOSX

Tags (1)

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I edited the visualization to add this:

<option name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0.01</option>

But i did so through the UI by clicking on the "paint brush" above the pie chart when in edit mode and setting the "minimum size" to 0%.

Doing that added the above to the dashboards xml.

0 Karma

notme_given

This will work (adapting to your indices, fields, etc)

index=linuxfirewall IN=eth3 PROTO=TCP | top DPT | chart count by DPT

The top command limits what you get and drops the 'other' aggregation.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

@Nicholas Key,

If you are using simple XML try removing the "useother" option and instead use

"sliceCollapsingThreshold" option

This helped me before, you can set it to zero, so it doesn't collapse the values into other.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomChartingConfig-chartlegend#piec...

Regards,

MHibbin

MHibbin
Influencer

OK cool, hopefully it works for you!

0 Karma

Nicholas_Key
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks, Matt! I'll try this out and let you know how it turns out.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

checking "..?showsource=1", the advanced XML looks like you should add...
<param name="suppressionList">
<item>charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold</item>
<item>charting.chart</item>
</param>

after the viewstate adapter, and
<param name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0</param>

as a param of the chart.

jujis008
Explorer

thank you very much! that's what am looking for. BTW what the difference between and \
\0\
working perfectly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...