Deployment Architecture

Fowarder host name - FQDN

yzidell
Engager

how can configure splunk Home -> All forwarders to the FQDN instead of just the host name?

Thanks

Tags (1)

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In v4.2.4, there seems to be a couple issues with how Splunk currently determines the host name of Forwarders. The info is contained in the index=_internal, where the sourcetype=fwdinfo and the Forwarder host name field is called hostname.

After looking at this other Splunk Answer, it seems that the issue is resolved in v4.2.5 and/or v4.3.

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/25868/where-does-the-fwdinfo-sourcetype-come-from

In the meantime, you can sort of workaround this issue by evaluating the hostname and, if it does not contain a period char (.), you can append the FQDN onto the end. Of course, you may need to evaluate more conditions for your specific Forwarder host names/domains, but this example shows one way, where the domain name is always to same for ALL Forwarders.

index=_internal sourcetype=fwdinfo 
| eval Forwarder = lower(if(match(hostname,"\."),hostname,hostname.".yourdomain.com")) 
| timechart count by Forwarder
0 Karma

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the summary_forwarders index there is a field called sourceHost and I'm also seeing both FQDN and single-host names for the same Windows forwarder in this field. (i.e. myhost vs myhost.splunk.com)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...