Splunk Search

Finding most recent event by host

anuremanan88
Explorer

We are collecting logs from McAfee and Splunk pulls information for each host every 1 Hr. The logs have two fields host and LastUpdateTime. I need to get the most recent event for each host using the LastUpdateTime without losing any other fields. Please help me in writing a query for this.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH |eval LastUpdateTimeEpoch=strptime(LastUpdateTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | sort - LastUpdateTimeEpoch | dedup host

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@kamlesh_vaghela - change that to | sort - LastUpdateTimeEpoch |dedup host and you have it.

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @DalJeanis,

Perfect!!

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

What format is LastUpdateTime in?
Try something like

|convert mktime(LastUpdateTime) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"| stats max(LastUpdateTimeEpoch) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch by host |eval LastUpdateTime=strftime(LastUpdateTimeEpoch,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

Except change the time format to suit your needs. You can also use an |eval LastUpdateTimeEpoch=strptime(LastUpdateTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") instead of convert

anuremanan88
Explorer

Using stats will remove other fields present in the event. Is there a way to keep the other fields also

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

you can do ...|stats values(*) as * max(LastUpdateTimeEpoch) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch by host |eval LastUpdateTime=strftime(LastUpdateTimeEpoch,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@anuremanan88, Try the following

<YourBaseSearch>
| dedup host
| table *

Refer to Splunk documentation of dedup command: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Dedup

anuremanan88
Explorer

I need to get the most recent event using the field LastUpdateTime field for each host. dedup wont work here.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Can you add some sample data for your field?

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...