Splunk Search

Finding most recent event by host

anuremanan88
Explorer

We are collecting logs from McAfee and Splunk pulls information for each host every 1 Hr. The logs have two fields host and LastUpdateTime. I need to get the most recent event for each host using the LastUpdateTime without losing any other fields. Please help me in writing a query for this.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH |eval LastUpdateTimeEpoch=strptime(LastUpdateTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | sort - LastUpdateTimeEpoch | dedup host

DalJeanis
Legend

@kamlesh_vaghela - change that to | sort - LastUpdateTimeEpoch |dedup host and you have it.

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @DalJeanis,

Perfect!!

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

What format is LastUpdateTime in?
Try something like

|convert mktime(LastUpdateTime) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"| stats max(LastUpdateTimeEpoch) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch by host |eval LastUpdateTime=strftime(LastUpdateTimeEpoch,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

Except change the time format to suit your needs. You can also use an |eval LastUpdateTimeEpoch=strptime(LastUpdateTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") instead of convert

anuremanan88
Explorer

Using stats will remove other fields present in the event. Is there a way to keep the other fields also

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

you can do ...|stats values(*) as * max(LastUpdateTimeEpoch) as LastUpdateTimeEpoch by host |eval LastUpdateTime=strftime(LastUpdateTimeEpoch,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@anuremanan88, Try the following

<YourBaseSearch>
| dedup host
| table *

Refer to Splunk documentation of dedup command: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Dedup

anuremanan88
Explorer

I need to get the most recent event using the field LastUpdateTime field for each host. dedup wont work here.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Can you add some sample data for your field?

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...